1950's/60's Archive Part 33:Dragon Rapide

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

[QUOTE=Sky High; I half hoped one of the Classic Wings Dragons might have been an Island Services one [/QUOTE]

Sky High

Mark and David Miller's beautiful Rapide G-AGJG, based at Duxford, is ex-Island Air Services. Not available for public flying, but often to be seen in the air over Duxford.

Member for

19 years 3 months

SH: the Island Air Services Rapides I have as joyriders at LAP/North were G-AGUF, which crashed 29/6/57, and G-ALBB, which crashed 1/8/52.

G-AGUF  Island ASLBB">

Rapide G-AGUF believed at Cambridge 4/7/51 and G-ALBB believed at Heathrow 19/2/50

Member for

18 years 3 months

I never have had the chance to fly in G-AGJG, But did help move the fuselage around during its rebuild. Here it is flying at Halton the other week.

Dave

Member for

19 years 3 months

G-ADCN  alias G-AIYR

For those who have not seen the picture already on the Duxford again Thread here is Rapide G-AIYR at Duxford today during filming as Imperial Airways G-ADCN ( which was in fact a DH86)

Member for

14 years 8 months

Sky High

Mark and David Miller's beautiful Rapide G-AGJG, based at Duxford, is ex-Island Air Services. Not available for public flying, but often to be seen in the air over Duxford.

So might that have flown the joy rides from London Airport along with the two already mentioned?

Member for

14 years 8 months

Thanks for those pictures Duxman.:)

Member for

13 years 8 months

G-AGJG at Heathrow 24-8-53:

G-AGJG

G-AGJG at Halton 11-6-11:

055:G-AGJG

Member for

16 years 8 months

For any ex Russavia team its 24 years today since G-AGTM swung on take off.

Dave

Remember that day very well, sadly for both the Rapide and Blenheim.
And my first ever flight was from Duxford in TM in 1985. Have always admired the Rapide since that day.

Great shots DCW.

Member for

14 years 8 months

DCW - this thread just gets better and better!!:D

Member for

13 years 8 months

Rapides seem to be popular, so here's a few more:

G-AGJG again, no details:

G-AGJG

G-AHLF (Wfu by 1962) Location anyone?

G-AHLF

G-AIDL still flying with Air Atlantique as TX310:

G-AIDL

G-AKIF still flying with Classic Wings at Duxford. Bardock Aviation Services titles date this to 1963-1966:

G-AKIF

Unkown Rapide (EDIT:G-AEML) with 'Electromag-Neil' titles:

G-A???

Member for

14 years 8 months

:D. In answer to your question might it be that they are the oldest passenger aircraft still fulfilling that role? Or are there older DCs in the US, perhaps?

Member for

24 years 5 months

My money is on Biggin Hill for that shot of G-AHLF.

Member for

13 years 8 months

While I was researching these Rapide pictures, I realised the significance of one particular airframe. G-ACPP is now preserved in Canada, and is the oldest survivor, being the fifth built. It was delivered to Railway Air Services at Croydon in 1935, and served with Scottish Airways in WW2. This makes it a very historic aircraft indeed, there are very few pre-war British airliners remaining (Only the Spartan Cruiser at East Fortune comes to mind). Perhaps we should start a campaign to repatriate it....

Member for

17 years 11 months

Do any parts of ALPK survive?

John

Member for

14 years 8 months

Electromag-Neil was based in Bristol until it was dissolved 2 years ago. This snippet from some googling:

"By WWII when MH Gamble (who had served his apprenticeship with a German Piano Company) joined the family firm the company had been diverted by the Government into producing Aircraft parts at their 3 factories. After the war MH Gamble went into partnership with the Neil Tool Company to form Electromag-Neil Ltd. Some of the aircraft that the firm produced parts for included the Spitfire, De Havilland, Nimrod & of course Concorde. By 1963 L. R. Neil had sold his share of the company to MH Gamble &, today the company is called ENL Ltd & still has a Gamble at the helm."

ENL is now in Portsmouth.

Member for

16 years 11 months

And my first ever flight was from Duxford in TM in 1985.

I might have briefed and boarded you - was doing so from 1984 to 87, as was G-ASEA.

Glorious days.....

DR

Member for

16 years 8 months

Indeed they were. Made a point of sitting right at the front to the right so i could see the pilot. Then watched nervously as fuel came out the top of the primer or whatever it was as he pumped away.
Still got my ticket somewhere with the exact date on. Might even have your initials on :).

Member for

18 years 3 months

Did you get a first flight certificate? We gave them out if you asked.
G-AGTM was use in a film around 1984? About the England to Austraila air race. The DC2 came over and a Puss moth was used. I never saw it.

Dave

Member for

18 years

"Electromag-Neil" was G-AEML now registered EC-AAY

hd83

G-AGJG

G-AHLF

G-AIDL

G-AKIF still flying with Classic Wings at Duxford. Bardock Aviation Services titles date this to 1963-1966:

G-AKIF

Unkown Rapide with 'Electromag-Neil' titles:

G-A???

Member for

18 years

"Electromag-Neil" was G-AEML now registered EC-AAY
dh83

G-AGJG

G-AHLF

G-AIDL

G-AKIF

Unkown Rapide with 'Electromag-Neil' titles:

G-A???