1950's/60's Archive Part 33:Dragon Rapide

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

The picture of G-AGJG at the very top of threads is KIDLINGTON -seething never that busy in 1960!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

19 years 3 months

DCW "G-AIDL still flying with Air Atlantique as TX310"

I saw a Rapide flying in the Baginton area yesterday - it turned out to be 'IDL on her first post-restoration flight after many months work by the Classic Flight engineers.

G-AKRP next :)

Roger Smith

Member for

14 years 6 months

Marvellous stuff! G-AIDL was looking very smartly turned out on Saturday, its great to hear she's flown.

Rich

Member for

19 years 3 months

While I was researching these Rapide pictures, I realised the significance of one particular airframe. G-ACPP is now preserved in Canada, and is the oldest survivor, being the fifth built......This makes it a very historic aircraft indeed, there are very few pre-war British airliners remaining (Only the Spartan Cruiser at East Fortune comes to mind). Perhaps we should start a campaign to repatriate it....

Don't forget TAC's Rapide, G-ADAH at MoSI, Manchester. One or two Short Scions about?

I agree any pre 1939 British airliner is a rare beastie

Roger Smith

Member for

18 years 2 months

Chirk

I happened to be at the car boot sale at Chirk last Sunday and managed a couple of quick phone cam pics in the hangar - apologies for quality ...

Attachments

Member for

15 years 11 months

Lovely photo's as usual. G-AKIF is recently included in the marvellous BBC series "Britain from above" though in a dark blue colour scheme. Some nice air to air over Oxford. Other a/c in this excellent series too, including Typhoon.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Here's a few Rapide pics. Some were scanned from rather bad prints.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Lovely photos, as always.
For the record:
G-AIUL of Derby Aviation at Wymeswold 30/5/1955

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc39/apollo-fox/30555WymeswolddrapG-AIULa.jpg

Member for

13 years 3 months

Almost forgot this one! Museo del Aire, Cuatros Vientos, Madrid C1996.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hey, that's nice.....

It is really 'CYR or a younger aircraft representing?

Love the fact that it is an Olley Air Services colourscheme - some of the best stories I have heard about early days of scheduled passenger flying seem to involve that remarkable gent!

Member for

13 years 3 months

I'm pretty certain it is the original G-ACYR, unless someone knows otherwise? I seem to recall seeing something at Croydon in 1959 in Olley Air Services colours to, but alas the memory is dimming!

Member for

13 years 3 months

Here's a bit more info on G-ACYR. According to Leslie Hunt's Veteran & Vintage Aircraft 4th Edition of 1974, he states: G-ACYR c/n 6261 was charted from Olley Air Services to fly Franco from Morocco to Spain pre-war. It was dismantled at Desford post-war and thought sold to General Franco 1954 for the museum.
Assuming that is true, then it is the original.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Here's a couple more taken at Woburn.