Gun Harmonisation-horizontal and vertical

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

During the Battle of Britain could the allied and axis aircraft have their guns harmonised in both the horizontal axis to focus the bullet stream and the vertical axis to allow for bullet drop?.
I know BoB allied pilots ranged their guns alot closer than the RAF originally intended down to the personal preferences of the pilots but could they also allow for bullet drop and gravity,
Many thanks :)

Original post

Member for

15 years

I would say certainly, although I have no experience. Look at the sight on a Lee Enfield rifle and see how the aiming point has to be raised against the distance scale, if they knew how to do that, then with aircraft it was a piece of p1ss. Bullet drop was known and allowed for when the first cannon were cast in Sussex.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Whichever!!

= Tim

Member for

17 years

A-a-a-ah, the Lee-Enfield .303 rifle of mid-50's Nat Svc Square-Bashing fame. Not just the raising of the sight, but also the tiny bit left/right to compensate for the wind when on the Long Range!! Then we got that FN brute. And after that the current abortion!!
Can I ask if the current air-to-ground firing lays off any/all of these problems, or do they just get near enough, and fast enough, to point the sharp end of the a/c at the target and press the tit? When I were involved in these dark arts it was transitioning from CAS to FGA (or the other way round?).
As a mere Mobile Met Man I watched many a young gentleman miss everything at the East Coast ranges. Or frighten the bejaysus out of the citizens of Richmond, Yorks, when (supposedly) attacking the local ranges!
One had to keep a straight face at post-Ex briefings!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HTH
Resmoroh

Member for

18 years 11 months

Most modern fighter and ground-attack aircraft have only one gun, so there is nothing to provide convergent aim for.

However, even with a "simple" ranging radar gunsight (which have been around since the early 1950s), the weapon computer does apply a range-based offset to account for both bullet drop and the distance between the radar and the gun barrel as well as (in the US fighters, at least) the off-axis angle the gun was aimed for (to prevent the aircraft from hitting its own bullets, as happened in early supersonic fighters).