No1 TWU Raf Brawdy, Hunters

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

I am producing a painting of the very colourful Hunter (red spine, tail and wing tips) flown by No1 TWU Instructors, I want to put another hunter in the picture but need to know if it would be similarly colourful or would each squadron take their own aircraft.

Thanks
PaulC

www.paulcouper.co.uk

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

Probably best to post this question on pprune - plenty of former Hunter instructors on there!

Member for

24 years 4 months

I am producing a painting of the very colourful Hunter (red spine, tail and wing tips) flown by No1 TWU Instructors, I want to put another hunter in the picture but need to know if it would be similarly colourful or would each squadron take their own aircraft.

Thanks
PaulC

www.paulcouper.co.uk

Yes but not to denote different squadrons but as I understand it, done for visibility trials. I think red, yellow and dayglo orange (ahem) versions were trialed, but not sure if concurrently with one another. Received wisdom would have us believe the coloured aircraft were instructor 'bounce' aircraft but I'm not sure that is actually so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/billclark/HunterF6a.jpg[

Member for

24 years 4 months

Certainly the red and yellow aircraft were around at the same time.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I remember them :) never saw the alleged "Dayglo" example though, just the Red and yellow ones... Their role was not something I am familiar with as groundcrew on them - but by the time I arrived in '78 they were probably just part of the 'fleet' and could have been seen with any number of other Hunters on a sortie. The markings didn't survive much longer after I arrived, mind you neither did many of the Hunters as they were in the middle of replacement by Hawks by then.

In answer to the original question - for artistic purposes a painting could include any of the other Brawdy Hunters to be honest ;)

Here's XF418 at Brawdy whilst still adorned with the Red :)

Attachments

Member for

15 years 2 months

Have you considered either Winston or Clementine (Meteors) in the picture instead of a second Hunter or even a JFACTSU Jet Provost?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Have you considered either Winston or Clementine (Meteors) in the picture instead of a second Hunter or even a JFACTSU Jet Provost?

Ooo I like that idea indeed - agreed!!! :D

Whilst having a look round I found an online image of the dreaded Dayglo Hunter ;)

Click Here :D

Must admit I would like to find the yellow one too - it's rather elusive online it seems?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Must admit I would like to find the yellow one too - it's rather elusive online it seems?

Er - its in my post above!

So the three were

Red - XF418 / 16
Yellow - XG225 / 27
Dayglo - XG226 / 28

and all still extant, 418 and 225 being complete and 226 as a cockpit section and also as a contributor to composite survivor XJ714!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Er - its in my post above!

I know but the pic you attached won't enlarge so I couldn't tell which serial number it was..... thanks for the updated info on reg's.

And to think I pass by the Cosford one without realising it was the same 'yellow' example ;)

PS: I meant 'find' as in looking for a photo of it on my pc as I have extensive Brawdy archives to look back at my days there :D

Member for

16 years 9 months

I must admit I thought that was the dayglo/orange one.*
On t'internet there are some pictures of a flying model Hunter with the yellow tail and wing bands (about half span), could that be one of the Brawdy aircraft?

*runs and ducks for cover!

Member for

18 years 2 months

[QUOTE=pagen01;1836821]

On t'internet there are some pictures of a flying model Hunter with the yellow tail and wing bands (about half span), could that be one of the Brawdy aircraft?

I haven't seen the pictures of the model that you mention, but from the description it sounds more like the scheme applied to some Central Fighter Establishment (CFE) Hunter F.6's in the early '60s. I believe the Revell 1/72nd Hunter F.6 kit box art shows this.

DD

Member for

24 years 4 months

I must admit I thought that was the dayglo/orange one.*

I'm coming to find you…….My bad, I thought I'd captioned the image.

I think the yellow tail with wing band scheme was something to do with the Day Fighter Leaders School?

Member for

16 years 9 months

Yep, I think you're both right about that, it seems to be in the early camo scheme.:)

Member for

15 years 8 months

Here you go.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/Amoskeeto/XG225HunterFGA91TWUBrawdyJune1979.jpg

Member for

14 years

I have photographs of the Red & yellow Hunters at Brawdy in July 1979. Also
XG172 coded 23 with a White tail. However the White a/c photo has nodate on it so it may have been a year or so each side of the 79 photos.
I also have one shot at least of the Meteor during its TT duties.
If you want copies I could do you some. In my photo of the Red bird it only has the red tail/empennage, outer wings. The spine is camo as are the drop tanks. The yellow bird is as in the superb pic above.
Whilst on holiday in Tenby over the years we spent many hours alongside the runway at Brawdy, and captured the various Transalls/Starfighters/F4s of the Luftwaffe on film.
Also from my memory and photo it was Red not dayglow. Were there one of each? Having spent many many hours there over time I never saw a Dayglow bird.

Member for

24 years 4 months

"Whilst on holiday in Tenby over the years we spent many hours alongside the runway at Brawdy, and captured the various Transalls/Starfighters/F4s of the Luftwaffe on film."

Likewise, except that when I was doing that it was Luftwaffe Noratlas and Royal Navy Hunters.....

Member for

24 years 4 months

Without wishing to start any dayglo arguments (!) the 'dayglo' photo doesn't seem to show a red painted aircraft as there is a distinct tonal variation between the fin colour and the red of the tail flash. XF418, the "Red Hunter" had the flash outlined in white to separate it from the background.

From what I know, only XF418 had any extensive use at TWU in the high viz scheme, the other two paint schemes were fairly short lived which might explain the lack of sightings of the orange 'un.

Here's another view of XG226, although the caption on the original does refer to 'red paint'!
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1153119/

Member for

14 years

Happy days

Looking at the photo of XG226/28 it is exactly as in my photo, the fin flash is not outlined in white and it is red as the above published photographer described it. I never saw a dayglow Hunter. However I did see the one with the white tail and have a poor photo of it XG172/23 during a pairs landing with another single seater.
Regarding the Gannets and Noratlas, I just wish I had been visiting in those days. You must be older than me which is no mean feat.:)

Member for

16 years 9 months

Great to see the info and pictures of the Brawdy Hunters, you can't beat hi viz schemes applied to camo aircraft IMO.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Looking at the photo of XG226/28 it is exactly as in my photo, the fin flash is not outlined in white and it is red as the above published photographer described it. I never saw a dayglow Hunter. However I did see the one with the white tail and have a poor photo of it XG172/23 during a pairs landing with another single seater.
Regard

There was a thread on pprune back in 2007 discussing the Brawdy Hunters. One contributor based at Brawdy at the time confirms that XG226 was in dayglo.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/304580-brawdy-their-hunters.html

Member for

24 years 4 months

Great to see the info and pictures of the Brawdy Hunters, you can't beat hi viz schemes applied to camo aircraft IMO.

I agree!