USAAF B-17 Pilot Werner Goering

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Copilot Ordered to Kill Him by Stephen Frater

I'm just learning about the story of Hermann Goering’s American born nephew Werner Goering who at age 19 was a captain of a USAAF B-17 in the 8th Air Force. He did a full combat tour and then volunteered for a second tour, was a Squadron Leader, Pathfinder, and was awarded the DFC.

Goering was paired with co-pilot Jack Rencher. The day before they were introduced Rencher was told to report to the base commander at Ft. Douglas, Utah. Arriving at 1PM wearing a dress “A” uniform, he was left in a room with 2 FBI agents who explained who Werner Goering was and that they wanted Jack to fly with him and if Goering ever tries to land the plane voluntarily they wanted Jack to shoot him in the head and take his dog tags and identification. If they were shot down or forced to land Goering could not be taken alive.

Hermann Goering had an interesting family and they all seem to have been better human beings than him. I’ll be buying this one as soon as I decide what format. Here is a link to a brief interview with author Stephen Frater regarding the book.

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_StephenFrater_HellAboveEarth_BookAuthor_206601-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

There is an article by Stephen Frater, adapted from his book, in the May/June edition of World War II, an American bimonthly magazine imported by Comag and available off the shelves from WHS.

Member for

15 years 6 months

The first chapter of the book (469 pages) is also available as a free download from Amazon.

Member for

13 years 7 months

The first chapter is 469 pages? There aren't many entire books that long.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Not wishing to create thread drift - but something 'odd' is happening with Amazon and some others. There are numerous sites offering 'free pdfs' of various books with blatantly wrong page counts, including my own Concorde Conspiracy, The Battle For American Skies - that only came out last week - but these are dated much earlier - in this case, January 12th. Now wether they are fake 'phishing sites', or what, I dont know.

I would advise caution in using them

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Copilot Ordered to Kill Him by Stephen Frater

I'm just learning about the story of Hermann Goering’s American born nephew Werner Goering who at age 19 was a captain of a USAAF B-17 in the 8th Air Force. He did a full combat tour and then volunteered for a second tour, was a Squadron Leader, Pathfinder, and was awarded the DFC.

Goering was paired with co-pilot Jack Rencher. The day before they were introduced Rencher was told to report to the base commander at Ft. Douglas, Utah. Arriving at 1PM wearing a dress “A” uniform, he was left in a room with 2 FBI agents who explained who Werner Goering was and that they wanted Jack to fly with him and if Goering ever tries to land the plane voluntarily they wanted Jack to shoot him in the head and take his dog tags and identification. If they were shot down or forced to land Goering could not be taken alive.

Hermann Goering had an interesting family and they all seem to have been better human beings than him. I’ll be buying this one as soon as I decide what format. Here is a link to a brief interview with author Stephen Frater regarding the book.

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_StephenFrater_HellAboveEarth_BookAuthor_206601-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio

Except that Werner was not related to Hermann at all!

Werner's father had made the claim so often that his own family believed him, but it has since been proved just the claims of a man trying to seem important.

I just Saturday saw something that had a good explanation... now I can't find it!

Oh, well, these should give you the idea:

http://wrnipoliticsblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/uri-corrects-misinformation-in-news-release-about-professors-book/

URI corrects “misinformation” in news release about professor’s book
March 13, 2012
by Ian Donnis

The University of Rhode Island this afternoon issued a revised news release about a professor’s book, acknowledging that its earlier release contained misinformation.

Here’s the revised release in its entirety:

In a recent press release regarding the publication of Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Co-Pilot Ordered to Kill Him, we incorrectly stated that the subject of the book, Capt. Werner Goering, was the nephew of the Nazi war criminal Hermann Goering.

The book contains a surprise ending in which it is revealed that Werner Goering was not, in fact, related to the Nazi reichsmarshall, though U.S. military forces and the FBI believed that to be the case at the time.

The University of Rhode Island’s Department of Communications and Marketing did not receive an advance copy of the book and was not made aware of the surprise ending, resulting in a factually incorrect press release.

We at the University of Rhode Island take our credibility seriously and regret that our press release was misleading. Steps are being taken to ensure it does not happen again in the future.

The misinformation in the earlier release was identified by RIPR’s Flo Jonic and brought to URI’s attention. The Associated Press circulated a report based on the misinformation. The ProJo did, too.

Hell Above Earth was written by Stephen Frater, URI’s writer-in-residence and a former reporter. He’s working on a biography project at URI involving the late governor Bruce Sundlun.

Deadly Relations: How a name almost got a kid killed

To paraphrase an advertising cliché, with a name like Goering, you have to be good, and Werner was determined to do the job, even if he didn’t want to talk about it, or about his family tree.

Unfortunately, Werner’s father, a working class man living in Salt Lake City after WWI, encouraged people to believe that he was related to Herman Goering, the WWI flying ace and friend of the infamous Red Baron, and by the time Hitler came to power, the Goering name was not something a patriot would brag about. With a name like Goering, the FBI was certain to take a close look at you, especially if you were an excellent pilot going to England as a bomber fighter. Werner was very young, stubborn and not fond of socializing, which only enhanced suspicion about him.
One of the real ironies of the story is that, if the Goering name had prompted the FBI to keep an eye on Werner, it was the friends and neighbors who remembered his father’s seemingly harmless boast about having a famous relative. If his father had said nothing about Herman Goering, the focus wouldn’t have been as intense, or as dangerous.

Member for

19 years 6 months

When a story seems to good to be true...it sometimes isn't.