Mk1 Spitfire Build - Help Needed

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

Dear All,

Undertaking a 1:1 replica MK1 Spitfire build with students. We need lots of help and advice and hoping there might be parts out there we could have/borrow to copy from. Also looking for correct wheels, chassis legs, glazing etc.

Aircraft will have a complete cockpit and be able to be pushed around.

Timeframe: 2-3yrs
Budget: Next to nil

Thanks all!

Original post

Member for

13 years 5 months

Dear All,

Budget: Next to nil

I suspect that's going to be your biggest stumbling block by far.

Member for

13 years 7 months

In all honesty with the budget set as it is, and working within the specified time frame, I'd say no chance, but best of luck anyway.

There were a couple of U/C legs on ebay, recently, they were a bit rough but probably could have been made presentable, but even they were £200- and then you need axles, wheels & tyres and a means of securing them to the airframe.

Member for

14 years 4 months

if you contact me on my private email we will see what we can do to help.We have all the fuselage frames on hard patterns,most of the fuselage skins as patterns.As well as rebuilding original spits we have also built a few replica ones with all that entails to move and reassemble etc.
We also have a very large collection of Spitfire drawings and we also have some surplus stuff available for sale/trade.look at our site for some guide etc.
If you fancy a drive to North Yorkshire with a lot of tracing paper and a camera you can come and take as many pics and measurements as you wish of the ones we have in jig an din parts form.These include a mkII and a MkV
as near as you will need to get.And don't be put off if you have the willing volunteers you can achieve a lot five of us scratch built the RBL Spitfire in eleven months from nothing.You can dummy main undercarriage legs with tractor front loader rams some steel tube and some steel bar that's what we did and from 5 feet you could not tell the difference.

Mike E
www.myspace.com/rblspitfireproject
[email]mike@firefly53.freeserve.co.uk[/email]
www.aircraftrestorationgroup.webs.com

Member for

14 years 4 months

before I forget you need to sort a budget even with lots of good will and help and making stuff up from scratch and obscure material it still cost in the region of £24k to put the RBL spit together.Aluminium sheet and box section etc is not cheap and you will go through a lot of it !!!!.
We will help with advice and patterns if we can but you will have to do the rest I am sure guys on here Like Bruce will be able to help you out with instruments etc to fill the gaps and you can buy instrument panels ready done or you can get the drawing and make your own (fraction of the price).

Mike E

Member for

24 years 4 months

Nobody fancy building a replica Hawker Henley or something different or even the 'Speed Spitfire' ?

Member for

14 years 7 months

Miles M20?

Cees

Member for

17 years 6 months

Or a Hillson bi-mono ?

Member for

18 years 4 months

I would also choose a different aircraft. It's a great opportunity to re-create a type that has vanished.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Doing a rare type would be good.

Regarding the Mk1, having a budget is a very good idea! Last year, at CockpitFest, I hatched a dumb idea to create a Spitfire Mk1 cockpit slice thru....I had over 3/4 of the internals already and sold a Hunter cockpit (complete) to fund the difference - ouch is all I can say....... lots of time and money.
Happy to help with what I can tho'. Some parts you will likely have to buy in....such as the perspex for the screen/canopy and castings

Member for

14 years 4 months

you could always help build a Westland Whirlwind Fighter :diablo::diablo::diablo:

Member for

18 years

Plenty of help around.Just yell out.. Good luck ;)

Member for

19 years 4 months

I can understand why you have selected a Spitfire as this will, in my view, grip the interest of students better than a more obscure type. Why not consider the comment from Firebex about the Whirlwind. Perhaps you could get started with making some Whirlwind components. It could give you the opportunity to gain the necessary skills to constuct your spitfire in due course.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Nobody fancy building a replica Hawker Henley or something different or even the 'Speed Spitfire' ?

A Henley would be nice-

Pro's-

It would be the only one being built, so not much competition for any original Henley components that might be available.

Most instruments are readily available for the panel.

I believe that there are many components the same as used on the Hurricane.

Interesting type.

Con's-

Not many Henley components about.

Possible lack of drawings etc.

Having to continuosly explain to people, what a Henley is, & telling them- NO IT's NOT A FLIPPIN HURRICANE !:D.

Bob T.

Member for

13 years 7 months

There is always the option for those not currently building a Spitfire, to resurrect one of these lost types for themselves.....

Member for

19 years 4 months

That is indeed very true....I can remember being told that I should not have wasted money saving my old Pucara cockpit and should have given the money to a flying project/collection instead!!

The adage being, as always, if its your money, spend it on whatever you like!!

Member for

13 years 4 months

Too true. Have been told several times that I should build a Camel or Pup, rather than a Snipe, But I want to have a go at a Snipe.
Wouldn't mind having a go at a Woodcock, or a Henley cockpit, but can't find any drawings "though there are rumours of Henley parts burried at Penrhose :diablo:".

They want to build a Spit repro, then they will have a go at building a Spit repro.

Bob T.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Thank you!

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your advice and offers of help. (Mike PM sent! I'd really like to know more about the exact tractor parts I'd need)

To let you know a little bit more about this project: I am running this as a project at school with 11-18 year old's helping. It will mostly be built from wood with some important parts manufactured from aluminium. These will mostly be small interior pieces to make the cockpit feel authentic. The fuselage will be skinned in flexi-ply with the tail section from frame 12 back made from polystyrene cut around 4mm ply frames at the correct positions. I'm toying with the idea of making a proper aluminium door though. I hope to get real Mk1 wheels or one I can copy from - one sold on eBay a month or two ago and I'm kicking myself for not bidding on it.

The budget is currently under £1000. Laugh, I know, but I used to work in the film industry as a modelmaker and effects guy, and I know how ot make things look exactly like the real thing at a fraction of the cost. We've successfully been awarded a grant from the Leonard Stillwell Bequest through The Spitfire Society and the school have also given us some funds. My instinct is that when everyone sees that I'm actually not mad and that this really will happen, more money will come in.

As pointed out, the canopy and glazing will be the biggest cost I think, so any advice very greatfully received. It needs to be the correct flat-sided early type as this is going to be an authentic Mk1 BoB aircraft.

To answer the obvious question: Why another Spitfire? Well two reasons; 1) It is the most iconic aircraft ever built and most recognised by most people.
2) It will be painted in the colours of R6631 of 609 Sqn flown by FO PA Baillon on November 28th 1940 when he became the tragic 56th and final victim of leading Luftwaffe ace Helmut Wick. Baillon was an old boy of the school I teach at, so a very apt if sad link.

I hope this answers some questions about this build.

Thanks so much

Member for

13 years 10 months

Oh, forgot to say, in my shed I'm building a Beech SNB-5 cockpit...pretty much from blueprints! So I'm not all Spitfire! Lol:)

Member for

15 years 2 months

Well good luck with it AviationArtist I sincerely wish you all the best with it and at least it's a tangible link with your school.Keep us posted please.

Member for

16 years 4 months

Spit build

The real driver behind this will be a positive, can-do attitude, it's amazing what can be achieved.

There will always be the nay-sayers and ne'er-do-well's but if you have the mind to do it then you will.

We built a full-size replica Dragon Rapide in nine months (50ft span, 2.5 tonnes) when folk said that they'd have trouble building a model in that time. Three of us started and within the first month two of them had disappeared off the scene. It still got done.

Go for it, that man:D - and the best of luck.

Anon.