Mustang III GA-Q/FB247 of 112 Squadron

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hi

I am after some information/confirmation if possible on the colour scheme for Mustang III GA-Q/FB247 of 112 Squadron.* Aircraft went Missing near Sarajevo December 11, 1944, Bill Mould was 'probably' the pilot of the aircraft according to the 112 Squadron web site. http://raf-112-squadron.org/planelosses.html

Was the aircraft Dark Green & Ocean Grey with Sea Grey undersides or Olive Drab & Sea Grey upper with Light Grey undersides or maybe another variation on a theme??. The attached b/w photo of FB247 is pretty dark and image quality not great. The ‘On Target’ book has both as options for the Mustang III and IPMS Stockholm site has Dark Green and Ocean Grey on the upper surfaces and Medium Sea Grey under surfaces. Does it come down to where the scheme was applied, UK or US? Might have had a sky band at some point.

Any help or advise appreciated?

Cheers
Chris

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

Sticking my neck out a bit, but might it possibly have been a USAAF-style Olive Drab/Neutral Grey scheme? The squadron's P40's had the same kind of scheme just before the Mustangs arrived, and from the above and other pictures it seems that a number of RAF "Razorback" Mustangs in Italy had this style of scheme, eg. 250sqn.

Just a suggestion.

Member for

19 years 10 months

It had a Sky band, but it was painted out. That;s the bit you can see behind the serial, and if you look closely you will see that it has actually been painted out on the underside using the same dark colour as the upper fuselage.

As for the schemes, the general assumption is that those in the UK were re-painted in UK colours, whereas those in Italy were left in their delivery colours. Have a look at Britmodeller, there is some discussion there. Terry McGrady's posts are usually very informative on taht respect.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Thanks for the replies

Think it is definitely a two colour scheme on top Ant which can be made out above the exhaust stubs, just not sure which one

Dave, I will have a look over on Britmodeller and see what I can find there

Cheers
Chris