RAF Museum - VC10 preservation

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

it seems that the RAF Museum is not preserving a VC10. Is this the first out-of-service type that they have not acquired upon retirement since the Museum's creation?

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

I think it may well be.

There is no Shackleton in the Museum at Hendon or Cosford , but I believe that the Manchester one belongs to the RAF Museum.

I doubt that a Tristar will find its way into preservation

Member for

17 years

None of the RAF Britannia fleet was preserved by the RAF either and they were disposed off after Hendon opened. I was told by the person that refused to grant permission for the VC10 to land at Cosford that the plan was now for it to be moved by road. I watch with interest.

Member for

17 years 1 month

Still no Jag at Hendon or Cosford save for the ACT Jag

Member for

24 years 5 months

I seriously doubt if there is money left in the pot to pay for moving a VC-10 if you take into account moving the Comet from Lyneham as well!

Member for

17 years

I seriously doubt if there is money left in the pot to pay for moving a VC-10 if you take into account moving the Comet from Lyneham as well!

It says in the latest edition of Aeroplane that the plans to preserve the Lyneham Comet are now in doubt.

Member for

10 years 10 months

How many skip trucks do you think they will need for the Lyneham Comet then ?

Member for

17 years 7 months

I would imagine they wouldn't move the Comet, due to the ensuing aluminium dust clouds that would follow it up the M5

Member for

12 years 6 months

I doubt that a Tristar will find its way into preservation[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember an interview with the current Director of the RAFM in a magazine a few years ago in which it was stated that Cosford would get a VC-10, Tristar and Hercules. Well, they got the Hercules.
Bill

Member for

18 years 8 months

The Tristar requires in excess for 5,000 feet to land which is considerably longer than that available at Cosford so I do not think one will go to Cosford.

The first two to be retired as due to be scrapped at Teversham in the new year

Member for

10 years 10 months

I was told by the person that refused to grant permission for the VC10 to land at Cosford that the plan was now for it to be moved by road. I watch with interest.

So do I...:eek:

I seem to recall that Nimrods had new wings fitted during their lifespan, (at Bournemouth ? ) but has anyone ever tried taking a VC10 apart since they were originally built ? I don't think a VC10 major servicing at Brize was that involved.

And having seen photos of just how much clearance there was under the local railway bridges when they moved the Nimrod fuselage and wings into Cosford, would a VC10 actually get through that way ?

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/03/19/huge-nimrod-wings-delivered-to-raf-cosford/

( Cobham at Bournemouth were contractors for the ill-fated Nimrod MRA4 conversion till BAe took it back to Woodford...:( )

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/03/14/giant-nimrod-transported-to-raf-cosford-through-shifnal-streets/

Member for

20 years 6 months

Air Forces Monthly (November issue) has several pages about the VC10's retirement. In a small sidebar there is a bit that says: "the disposal company, GJD Services, will determine which airframe, from those remaining, will best be dismantled and taken by road to Cosford."

Can a VC10 get out? G-ARVM's fuselage was moved out of the site so it should be possible to get one in. Also G-ARVF was taken apart and reassembled 120km further on in Germany so there is indeed a precedent.

Member for

24 years 5 months

By 'dismantling' do you mean cutting the wings off as I havn't heard of any production breaks?

Member for

12 years

It looks like in this case the wings were cut off immediately outboard of jacking points. As I understand it, the plan is to preserve the fuselage longterm, so I expect the exposed gubbins will be blanked off at some point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222400[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

11 years 5 months

G'Day all. Certainly hope a VC10 is preserved by the RAF. As always, hard to find a whole one when reduced to a memory. Should be standard that one of each retiring aircraft is preserved for the future. Regards from Oz

Member for

20 years 6 months

On G-ARVM the wings were cut just outboard of the fuselage, and just next to the production joint where the center section is bolted to the wings. On G-ARVF this joint has been used to remove the wings and bolt them back on. No cutting involved.

HP111's photo of G-ARVM at Brooklands is from a few years ago. The photo below shows the current situation (actually this photo is from June 2012, the engine stub is also blanked off now).
http://www.vc10.net/History/Individual/Images/GARVM_June2012.jpg

Member for

17 years 7 months

Will the problem not be the railway bridge? Seems odd to position it at Brunty to move though, one would have thought somewhere like Coventry would have been better, though to be honest, I suppose by the time that the decision was taken not to fly BOB in, those that may make the journey were already at Brunty.

Member for

12 years

On G-ARVM the wings were cut just outboard of the fuselage, and just next to the production joint where the center section is bolted to the wings. On G-ARVF this joint has been used to remove the wings and bolt them back on. No cutting involved.

HP111's photo of G-ARVM at Brooklands is from a few years ago. The photo below shows the current situation (actually this photo is from June 2012, the engine stub is also blanked off now).

Thanks for the update. It only seems like yesterday that I took that picture!

Member for

24 years 5 months

G-ARVM what have they done to you! a real shame your magnificent tail got scrapped. And your wings. Seems like only yesterday I was watching you from the Queens Building at Heathrow doing a touch and go; crew training I was told; in your smart BA livery. 1977ish? Had it been known that the RAF couldn't get a VC10 into Cosford now, then perhaps RAFM could have just purchased G-ARVM from BA and painted it in RAF markings. joe public would never have known the difference. There is a civil Britannia there, painted in RAF colours - and Nobody really knows! (Apart from those on this forum).

Member for

24 years 5 months

David -effectively the RAFM owned the VC-10 from the moment it touched down at Cosford. The problem seemed to arise when the RAFM were unhappy with the level of BA's commitment to the airframes in terms of maintainance. Whether it was prudent to dispose of her without a replacement being in place is open to question ! What is certain is that the VC-10 that should be at Cosford is XR808.

Member for

18 years 4 months

You can unbolt the wings,there's quite a few of them mind you!!! I worked on VC-10 majors for 8 years and one airframe (i forget which one) had corrosion issues in the wingroot,BAE basically took nearly all the bolts out so the wing was 'detached' from the fuselage for a few weeks,so it is feasible if not very,very,very time consuming!!