Hawker Hurricane Seats

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 6 months

I'm trying to work out a few problems about how Hawker Hurricane seats were actually fitted.
There is the top mounting bar which runs from joint E to the opposite side and the seat is attached by 2 attachments. Are there any specific bolts /nuts used as I assume this mounts must be flexible at this point
At the bottom is the larger mounting bar which has the adjustable lever at the side for seat height adjustment.
What are the fixings that actually attach the seat to the bar/lever. Is there just a large mushroom head type bolt that runs through the seat into the fitting with a castle nut on the outer side and how does the seat rising mechanism work. I've tried to find GA drawings or actual MAC drawings but with no luck.
Finally, does anyone know the length of the rudder bar which the rudder pedals are mounted on.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

13 years 4 months

Operation: The seat is in the highest position. Pressing the button at the end of the handle releases the lug in the top position of the segmented arc. The seat is now free to move, with rotating movement where the elbow of the handle connects to the seat and where the 'left hand' end of the handle wraps around the cross member EF stbd to EF port.
Moving the handle down lowers the seat, reaching the lowest position when the lug engages the lowest position in the segmented arc and the handle is in almost a horizontal position.
Can't help with the rudder bar I'm afraid, but I'm sure others will be along soon who can.

Member for

15 years 2 months

The top Seat bar joint E-E Has two cast mounts that fit into the back of the seat, there is a steel ring fitted inside the the larger hole of the mounts that fits on the top bar, this then fits onto a cast bronze bush that slides over the tube, that is then held buy a split pin, I think there is also another steel ring. At the ends of the tube are two machined steel plugs/bushes that are threaded they go into the the tube each end. The bottom seat bar FC-FC there is a larger cast seat mounting on the one side that attaches the seat and the ajuster handle the other side, there are also cast bronze bushes fitted into the end of the tube that butt up to joint FC with the inner tube going into the actual joint. not sure on the actuall bolts that hold the seat to the bottom mount or ajuster handle.

All very complex, but thats a Hurricane for you!

Ant.