Metric Bolts

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years

We're on the look out for any metric hardware (or quality purveyors thereof) for aircraft use. We've drawn a blank in the UK, all the usual suppliers unable to help. Major requirement at the moment is a range of 5mm bolts with a thread drilled for a pin.

Anyone come across anyone in the UK or abroad?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

16 years 2 months

I believe there are actually no 'aircraft quality' metric bolts.
I think you'll end up going to a commercial fastners business.
You'll need to know the grip length you require & cut the thread back to size. And then you drill the thread.
Please visit the shop, when they are not busy! A serious piece of advice.

Member for

17 years

Not liking the idea of going the commercial bolt route - quality control is so important. There must be some out there - I doubt the French manufacturers used Imperial........

Member for

18 years 6 months

All of the German glider manufacturers will supply metric nuts and bolts with an EASA Form 1.

The Eurofighter Typhoon engine, the EJ200 was/is all metric nuts and bolts. Not sure about the airframe, but I know all the big civil (even if it's French) is still imperial, Or I should say American.

I think all the Russian hardware is metric but not sure what release it comes with.

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hawk,Jaguar and Tornado also have metric hardware. Airbus as well. I see limited stocks outside of commercial. LAS aerospace do have a small (expensive) collection.

Member for

19 years 3 months

One of the standard metric a/c bolts would be S105-05 -xx (length) - used by the thousand on Hawks.
Tornado bolts were a different part number but not au fait with them.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I think the S105 series & others used on Hawks were/are BAe (or Hawker in old language) specification when they went metric. The rivets were metric dimensions of Imperial sizes, in other words identical as far as I'm aware!
I believe that there are LN standard metric items in existence, but seem to be like hens teeth in UK. Had this problem when designing a bit of hardware back in the 80's for the ESA space lab! Used commercial stainless bolts in the end.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Yes Dev - S105 etc was Hawker Squiddeley spec.

An S105-05-08 would be NSN 5306-99-616-5187.

A drilled bolt would have an 'H' within the part number -something like either S105H-05-08 for drilled head / S105-05-08H or H08 for drilled shank (cannot remember exactly !)

Somebody might have some in stock ?

Diamond aircraft are all metric.
Have you tried SAYWELLS ? They supply most aircraft parts. LAS Aerospace, another aircraft parts supplier, they supply metric hardware.
Try GOOGLE for an internet search.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Phil, I spent a very long time looking, and unless you can find NOS, there aren't any. If you need specific bolts, you need to make them from an appropriate steel. Not cheap.

Member for

17 years 7 months

If you have a part number I can run it through partsbase for you

Have you tried
Adams Aviation
Global Aviation
Airparts

Member for

13 years

Yak, Wilga and Sukhoi plus Robin 2120/2160 etc are metric as are all DH Gipsy engines al.though they have BSF/Whit head size

Member for

17 years

Thanks for the offer of checking Tony. Unfortunately the bolt doesn't display a part number and the neither the parts catalogue nor any of the other manuals are of sufficient detail to list it. They're great on the system fit, but when it comes to the airframe structure they're hopeless. That said I'll measure up the details when I get back and I'll pop them over. They may make sense with something existing doing the job.

If not you may well be right Bruce. There is a machine shop not far from you that I've been using for parts for the black machine that I may well have to ask to look at these.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Yak, Sukhoi etc are all metric as suggested, but we didn't like the quality when we were building the 190.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Just googled LN series bolts & found that its a DIN aerospace standard, LN 9355 sounds like it is what you need for a drilled shank/tail. Two suppliers one French manufacturer & one in UK for Fournier aircraft, but not sure what size. Seems that Extra aircraft also specify DIN LN series.
Good luck