Magnetic Relay Switch Type G

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hello All,

Trying to find any details, images or stores reference for a Magnetic Relay Switch Type G. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tim

Original post

Member for

11 years 3 months

I have a jotting - I think from info found on the Forum ages ago but can't spot the thread, so due credit to the originator ...

Switch Magnetic Type G (Red spot), Ref: 5C/896, having a 12V coil and designed for intermittent switching of 450A DC - a Starter Solenoid.

Type H similar but 24V coil.

Type J same family (as far as I'm aware):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]250825[/ATTACH]

JEK

Attachments

Member for

12 years 1 month

pm sent

Member for

16 years 9 months

JEK,

Many thanks for the information that has proved very useful and is just what I was looking for.

Tiffyman - PM sent

Kind regards,

Tim

Member for

13 years 9 months

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but I am looking for a NOS Type J Magnetic relay switch. The one I have found says 24Volts. I am not an electrical guy, but my Auster runs a 12V system and the Service manual calls out for a Type 'J'. Would this be correct for me? Its for the starter on the Gipsy

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Anthony

Member for

15 years 4 months

There are/were two different versions of the Type J, see below:

Attachments

Member for

13 years 9 months

Aaah, thanks Terry, so there is a 12V one! Much appreciated mate....now to find one

Cheers
Anthony

Member for

13 years 9 months

Would it be possible to swap out the 24V coil and put the 12V coil into the same Type 'J' casing?

Member for

13 years 5 months

Anthony

You could swap the coils over but if you had a 12V coil wouldn't you then have a 12V relay as the donor?

You could wind a new coil yourself to enable 12V operation - it's 'easy' but fraught. it's easy because all you need is some insulated copper wire and an hour of your time. It's fraught because knowing what size wire is a 24 thousand dollar question and getting the old one out may not be possible and you would have to assume that the manufacturers also used the same metalwork for both 12V and 24V coils.

If you can get the old coil out and if you can use the original metalwork and make an identical bobbin (assuming you don't want to unwind the original coil) then in theory 'all you need to do' is wind a coil of 1.51 ohms with half the number of turns of the original that will fit on the bobbin.

You can find the number of turns by unwinding the original or roughly calculate the number of turns by measuring the diameter of the original wire and using the size and shape of the original winding. That's not as hard as it seems as there are on-line calculators that can do this easily. The same calculators will work out the wire size and resistance of the new coil.

If the new coil fails to pass the tests as described in the AP then you can 'simply' change the number of turns (keeping the resistance the same). Remember though that the coil will get very hot if you keep it energised, its essentially dissipating 96W. Oh and keep the wires in neat rows and layers

Rewinding coils can pass many happy hours in front of the TV......

Or.... You could look up a coil 'rewinders' they would work it out for you or possibly measure the original coils magnetic field and wind a new coil to suit! Not sure how expensive that would be but they may just like the challenge of helping a restoration. If you use a rewinders then let them have a copy of the AP.

Or.... you might find a suitable modern solenoid that would fit inside the original metal work, that might be a solution.

That's all if you can't wait for a 12V version!

Cheers
James

Member for

13 years 9 months

James, I really appreciate you taking the time to write me such a detailed response. That shows me it is possible to do and for originality I can go down that track. I have been told that an American Eclipse 518 will be a good modern replacement.

The other option is buying this at the same time?
http://www.aerovintagespares.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eaerovintagespares%2ecom%2favspares%2f5CW_%2d_Aircraft_Electrical_Switches__Switch_Boxes__Relays___Accessory_Items%2ehtml&WD=5cw%20coil%201936&PN=5CW_2712_%2d_12v_Coil__for_5CW_1936_Relay_%2ehtml%23a2277#a2277

What do you think?

Thanks again, I am grateful for your reply

Kind regards
Anthony

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi Anthony

The aero vintage one is just the ticket I would have said. The copper wire would have cost you the same amount if you had wound your own, so it's also a bargain. The AP states the 12 V relay parameters and then "other details as 24-Volt unit" and there is only one physical drawing so I would imagine that the coil would be a 'drop-in' replacement.

Cheers
James

Member for

11 years 11 months

I would agree, go for the Aero Vintage 12v coil.

Andy

Member for

13 years 9 months

Thanks, you guys are awesome!