Wartime exploits of F/LT Francis Henry Snell AFC

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

Dear Forum,

Looking to try and find more information about Francis Henry Snell AFC (118957) believed to be RAFVR.

Have tried some internet searches, a little entry in the London Gazette, but not much more. Does anybody have any more info on this fella?

FB

Original post

Member for

17 years 3 months

Don, really most useful thank you. His name came up as I was recently reviewing an aircraft logbook which starts in November 1945. The first flight of the machine was carried out by F/Lt Snell, but by the 5th flight he records his name as F H Snell. I was wondering if he did some post war test flying as he certainly embarked on an exhibition flight with a company based in Hereford in 1946.

Thank you for the leads though - I will see what else I might be able to find!

FB

Member for

6 months 4 weeks

Fournier Boy, Francis Henry Snell was my husbands father. He died at the age of 41 in 1954 from complications with DVT (probably from flying) You probably know more than me! I believe he trained pilots to fly hence the AFC. He was based and lived in Hereford. It seems from service record he received the war medal 1939-1945 and the 1939-45 Star - Also Air Force Cross Australian Flying Corps - but you will know more than me - hope that its useful - anything you know about him I would be very grateful

Member for

15 years 3 months

Only just looked at this thread and was intrigued to hear that he was from Hereford. Interested to know what exhibition flight and what company that was. Also was he related to the Snells from Kingsthorn ,Herefordshire?.                                    My interest is purely from a local history point. Thanks