DAMS RAID

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Having recently read the Dam Busters Raid by John Sweetman I
found myself somwhat bemused to discover that the original intent was to attack 6 dams on one night. As always raid planning went spectcularly pearshaped with en route losses being far more serious than the planners ever envisaged.

That the remaining crew accomplished what they did with the slender resources that actually made it to the dam walls was a truly marvellous achievement.

I wonder just how widely known Mr Sweetmans findings are, for they came as shock to me

Original post

RE: DAMS RAID

Yeah i knew about the 6 dams thing.In actual fact the last 3 were 'secondary ' targets so it was not the main aim to attack them,but instead to use up bombs in case the first three went ridiculously easily-some chance!!
Both 'Enemy Coast Ahead ' by Guy Gibson & "The Dam Busters " by Paul Brickhill detail the raid well.
As one last point one of the last three was actually attacked with one bomb with little effect,so is rarely heard about.

RE: DAMS RAID

Having looked a few things up again,I can add that it was the Lister Dam that was attacked ineffectually with a single bomb. It was attacked because the fog in the valley around the Sorpe Dam had become so thick that the last of the reserve aircraft were unable to locate it,and so switched to the Lister.