14th August 1940 We Remember

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

WEDNESDAY 14th AUGUST 1940, THE CASUALTIES:

1245hrs: Dover. Hurricane P3109. 615 Squadron Kenley
F/O P.Collard Killed. (Shot down over Channel. Believed body washed ashore in France)

1250hrs: Dover. Hurricane P3160. 615 Squadron Kenley
P/O C.R.Montgomery Killed. (Failed to return to base. Believed shot down over Channel)

1730hrs: Bournmouth. Spitfire N3024. 609 Squadron Warmwell
F/O H.McD Goodwin Killed. (Shot down off coast by unknown enemy aircraft)

1915hrs: Beachy Head. Hurricane L1739. 43 Squadron Tangmere
Sgt H.F.Montgomery Killed. (Last seen in combat with He111. Failed to return to base)

For more information on the actions of the day click the link below.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/august14.html

One of the airfields attacked today was Middle Wallop

"My head was spinning, it felt as though I had a permanent ringing in my ears, I felt the blast go over me as I lay there flattened on the ground. I got up and my instinct was to run towards the hangar. It was carnage, I saw one overalled person with his foot and half a leg blown off, another had a great red patch on his chest with a load of mess hanging from it, another was rolling in agony with one of his arms missing.
The door of the hangar was only half closed and just inside I could see the bodies of four overalled men on the ground with one seemingly splattered against the edge of the door. I felt sick, I almost threw up there and then, but as other air force personnel came into the hangar, they just seemed to go about their business in a respectable and calm manner with no sign of panic. Then I remembered what I was told about the British, 'no matter how bad the situation, they will always keep that stiff upper lip'."

Pilot Officer E.Q. (Red) Tobin (American) 609 Squadron Middle Wallop

F/O Eugene Tobin now with 71Sqn was killed on September 7th 1941. He was laid to rest in Boulogne Eastern Cemetary.

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

evening bump