Italian Air Force WW2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 2 months

I noticed here... http://www.warbirdregistry.org/italianregistry/cr42-mm5701.html mention of a CR42 making a forced landing in England in 1940.. never thourght much about this before, but how involved were the Italian AF in Northern Europe in WW2 ? Normally think of them in the Med... anyone suggest book on the subject ?

Neil.

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hello guzzineil,
I think only two raids into British airspace were achieved by the Italian Air Force in 1940, I know that Bob Stanford Tuck claimed a CR42 somewhere near Ipswich, offhand I am not sure about other losses without digging out the relevent books. I am also fairly sure that Mussolini wanted in on the action so to speak and badgered Goering for his AF to take part in raids on the UK. Others on the forum will no doubt be able to help you much more!.
Best Regards.

Member for

20 years 2 months

See here for details on Italy's foray against Britain
http://www.dalnet.se/~surfcity/falco_bob.htm

The first British-based RAF pilot to encounter Italian fighters was New Zealander Edward Preston 'Bill' Wells, of Cambridge, NZ, (also known as Hawkeye), on the 11th of November 1940. He encountered them over the Channel. He claimed a 'damaged' on a CR 42 and probably destroyed a Hs 126 as well. He was flying a Spitfire Mk II (P7322) with 41 Sqn from Hornchurch. I have heard that he in fact probably damaged four CR42s, perhaps even destroyed one or two, but he didn't see the results so he didn't claim them. If anyone has Italian records that back up/refute this I'd be pleased to hear.

It was the same day and same encounter that saw the CR42 in Hendon captured at Orfordness, and it's likely that same plane was one of those engaged by Bill Wells.

Member for

24 years 5 months

I suspect there may not be enough for a book on the subject. As already said, the CR42s were decimated on the first raid and I'm not certain they were used again. I think there was a similar scenario with a bomber raid although I can't remember any details and wouldn't take that as fact.

Edit:
The official history of the RAF 1939-1945 (HMSO 1953/4) seemed a good place to look but there doesn't appear to be a single reference to the Regia Aeronautica over the UK.

Member for

20 years 8 months

The CR-42 in the RAF Museum landed on the beach, and was captured, due to a broken oil pipe.

I helped illustrate and write an article about the Regia Aeronautica in the Battle of Britain a few years ago. It was (re-)published in Scale Models as well. I'll have to see if I can find it!

Cheers

Member for

19 years 11 months

The CR42s were based in Belgium together with Fiat bombers during the battle of Britain.
Must have more info on that topic but don't know where to look

Member for

20 years 1 month

Definitely Mussolini's way of trying to impress Hitler, and get in on the action. The following year he was crying for HELP!!

Member for

24 years 5 months

they didnt last 2 months.

Member for

19 years 11 months

I now checked and found that they were based at Maldegem near Ursel (18°Gruppo-56° Stormo) - source Regia Aeronautica by Christopher Shores - Squadron/Signal publications - 1978