The first Warbird you saw fly!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Don't know if this thread has been used before, but which warbird was the first you saw fly, when was it, and how did it affect you?

Mine is easy; Harvard LN-TEX at Eggemoen Airfield (ex-German) outside Hønefoss, Norway. The summer of 1981 when they used to drop by almost every weekend together with Cessna 185 LN-MAS. When the 185 would come overhead you made a mad dash to the airfield on your bike, working your little legs off, as you knew the Harvard would be there within the next 15 min! After this I began reading the (only) Norwegian aviation magazine, saw the BBC Col. Culpepers Flying Circus feature on the CAF on TV, and understood just how many old aircraft were still around. Got subscriptions to Flypast and Air Classics around 1984, and went to my first major show (Fighter Meet at North Weald) in 86. Then the interest has escalated into going to see many exciting aircraft and airshows over the years. Not to mention the many great people I've met all around!
T J Johansen

Attachments
Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Borrowed from warbirdaeropress.

John Sandberg's racing P63 KingCobra "Tipsy Miss". Sometime in the mid 70s as it was based at the Crystal, Minnesota airport near where I grew up. Hearing that Allison would get me running for the door to look up and see the Cobra passing over my house. As he did engine work for other folks, I saw a number of P51s as well, on one occasion I was there when there was a P51D, the EAA XP51 and the CAF P51C (in peices next to the hanger) Mustang heaven :)

Dan

Attachments

Member for

20 years 5 months

Oh, I only WISH I had a photo of the first warbird(s) I saw....it was in 1976 in Denver, I was crossing the street towards my house and looking east, when I heard this huge drone coming towards me....and it was'nt one plane, not two or three....I'm guessing it was about 12 of them, led by a B-17 and including ALL different kinds...but the only one I remember for SURE was the B-17 in the lead....they flew right over me and to the west and slowly banked to the south...apparently there was a CAF show in town that weekend (I did'nt get to go) and this was their way of promoting the show....absolutely awesome.

Mark

Member for

20 years 2 months

My Dad used to take us to the shows at Shobdon airfield near Hereford, but the first airshow that I remember was at Staverton (Gloucester/Cheltenham) in about 1970/1971. I remember seeing the then Blue two-seat Spitfire G-AIDN, TF956 the Sea Fury of the RNHF and the Lancaster before its top turret was fitted.

Member for

20 years 2 months

It's hard to say which one I truly saw fly first, as my first exposure to warbirds was at the anual display put on by the Southern Minnesota Wing of the then Confederate Air Force at Holman Field in St. Paul, Minnesota. The warbird that sticks out in my memory is Ross Grady's Cavalier Mustang 67-22581/C-GMUS(now N151MC), close behind in memory is Roger Christgau's P-51D 44-63675/NL1751D, and actual combat veteran. The sound of the Merlin still has the same effect on me some 14 years later and I still have no adequate way to describe it.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Spitfire T Mk VIII, G-AIDN, in the Kings Cup Air Race at Baginton (now Coventry AIrport) in the 50's - 1958 I think. She took off last to do 4 laps of the course as the slowest aircraft had half finished it's last lap - a Tipsy Nipper, and if I remember right, the eventual winner. 'DN appeared to be about 12th as she turned in at the start of the final straight, crossed the line 4th and was in the lead about 100yds later - magic stuff for an 8 year old - me, not the Spit!

Member for

24 years 4 months

Probably Spitfire AB910 together with Hurricane PZ865 in the days when they were operated by their respective manufacturers. Would have been either the Halton Battle of Britain do in 1959, or the White Waltham show in 1960 at a guess. Other than that, the "War Lover" B-17s flying from Bovingdon. Not knowing they had arrived, and having one suddenly appear at low level, camouflaged and armed to the teeth as I was cycling home from school was a hell of a shock. I nearly fell off me bike!

Member for

20 years 9 months

First warbird I got to see was Spit T.9 ML407, lokinga bit sorry for herself after a prang at Eastleigh in 1986.

Can anyone recall which Spit/Hurricane were flying at the RIAT at Fairford in 1993?? :confused:

Member for

19 years 10 months

Having grown up 5 miles from Coltishall, it would have to be the BBMF (or whatever they were called in the late 60's). I do recall going to an air show at Coltishall when very young and remember watching Spitfires being hurled around the sky with vigour while sitting on my father's shoulders!

Do Lightnings count? They were operational but didn't half make an impression on a 4 year old :)

JC

Member for

24 years 4 months

Stereo.

Probably Spitfire AB910 together with Hurricane PZ865 in the days when they were operated by their respective manufacturers. Would have been either the Halton Battle of Britain do in 1959, or the White Waltham show in 1960 at a guess. Other than that, the "War Lover" B-17s flying from Bovingdon. Not knowing they had arrived, and having one suddenly appear at low level, camouflaged and armed to the teeth as I was cycling home from school was a hell of a shock. I nearly fell off me bike!

Gosh almost in stereo. :)

All of the above but a couple of years earlier.

1957 Biggin BoB: Spitfires AB910 & PS853(static) and Hurricane LF363. Also on the scene at that time Spitfires PM631, SL574 and TE476 the latter two to suffer belly landings and to be grounded.

Here is a shot of the then BBMF at Martlesham Heath via Ron Cranham.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

The first Warbird I remember seeing (and I may have seen some before this as a kid but can't recall) was a Harvard from the Roaring Forties display team. I would guess it must have been about 1986, I'd have been about 15. There was a locl aeroclub fly-in at Hamilton Airport (Rukuhia) which is nearby to here.

I was in the car with Mum, Dad, my sister and one of Dad's pals. I'll never forget this - the road between the old RNZAF part of the airport (now Pacific Aerospace) and the airport entrance is dug down below ground level, like you see on many airport perimeters. On the radio was "Reet Petite" by Jackie ?? (somebody, from the 1960's in one of those 1980's comebacks thanks to a film soundtrack). Right when the song got to where he sings "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr reet petite", this Harvard appeared ahead and flew low, hrd and fast straight at us. There was noting else in view but grass embankments either side and a Harvard making an attack. Wow, I was hooked. Even my sister was thrilled by it.

The airshow was my first that i recall (though I had been to many r/c airshows as Dad was into that - I thought and still think r/c is crap). There were four or five Harvards, a DH89 and some crappy little Hawker Fury replicas (Isaacs). That's all i rememebr but I know I wanted more. I started reading NZ Wings magazine, and that was it.

Happy days. The next airshow I got to wasn't till 1990, at Ardmore, but that was awesome - the Venom and Mustang tailchase was to die for! Pity we never see that routine nowadays....

Member for

24 years 4 months

The RNHF machines, Sea Fury FB11 and T20, Firefly and Swordfish.

Member for

20 years 9 months

"Reet Petite" by Jackie ?? (somebody, from the 1960's in one of those 1980's comebacks thanks to a film soundtrack). Right when the song got to where he sings "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr reet petite",

Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson.

Altogether now: "Oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh!" ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Swordfish at Yeovilton, around 1961.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Summer 1986, the Collings foundations B-17 Nine O Nine. It was a sunday evening and the sun was setting and I just could not belive I was seeing what I was seeing. It was quite picturesque. The photo was taken the next afternoon at Bradley field and I still could not belive I was seeing an actual B-17. To this day I get a little chill when I see her and remember that summer.

http://www.tacticalblunder.com/g503/data/503/7909_through_the_fence.jpg

Member for

20 years 11 months

I think the first warbirds I saw were those owned by the Duke of Brabant Air Force in 1994, which at that time were the B-25, A-26 and P-51. (I think the A-26 belonged to them)

Member for

20 years 7 months

My first Airshow that i really remember was Biggin Hill 1982 i remember as we arrived there was a B25 flying i do not know who owned it but remember it was in American markings,That day was also my first viewing of Sally B the TFC Bearcat and Ray Hanna in MH434(the first display i really remember)and not to forget the BBMF and RNHF who were also there.

Member for

19 years 9 months

The first Warbird you saw fly!

I remember all too well! It's a bit of a long story. My Mom and I were over in the Philippines visiting friends in the early 70's. I was just a young whippersnapper! It was an F4 Phantom either heading or coming back from a sortie in Vietnam. I wish I knew where the photo's were of that beautiful holiday.

Cheers,

Todd

Member for

24 years 4 months

1) Which warbird was the first you saw fly?

MH434 being put through her paces by Ray Hanna

2) When was it?

Spitfire Anniversary show 1996 at Duxford

3) How did it affect you?

I now work at Duxford...that says it all I think :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

RNHF and BBMF at RAF Church Fenton shows in the late '60's/early '70's I guess - loved seeing the Sea Furies! Remember seeing a silver B-17 one year, my Dad proudly reaffirming that 'it's nowt near as good as t'lanky!' - I expect that was 'Sally B'?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Probably, although I'm not too up on Sally B's history!!