Chipmunk 'Warbird'

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 2 months

Found this photo of a Chipmunk wearing warpaint at:- http://www.tailwheel.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=45
:)
mmitch.

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

Funny pic, and a bit sad really.

Thought this thread might have been about the two Chipmunks at Gatow, Berlin in the 60s. ;)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Ahh, you mean the PR Mk10?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thats a Chipmunk?

Bruce

Member for

21 years 1 month

Thats a Chipmunk?

Bruce

That was a Chipmunk.....

Member for

24 years 4 months

From memory it's a former Thai Air Force example. It has a typical 'American'
modified rudder and a larger engine but it still ranks as a Chipmunk.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Ooooh, bit dodgy.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Like the FW-190 with the Russian radial? :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

Like the FW-190 with the Russian radial? :)

Not even Russian :eek: It's from CHINA :eek: :eek:

To be fair, it is the BMW 801 that originally powered the FW190, reverse-engineered in Russia and produced in China. Hope I got that right, all a bit complicated after a couple of glasses of red :eek: :D

Member for

20 years 3 months

From memory it's a former Thai Air Force example. It has a typical 'American'
modified rudder and a larger engine but it still ranks as a Chipmunk.

Not in my book, they've killed it. :mad:

Member for

24 years 4 months

DGH- The RAF scrapped a number of Chipmunks over the years for various reasons. Whilst it's not everyones cup of tea it's still airworthy and appreciated. The future for Chipmunks is the LOM engine - it hardly spoils the
lines of the machine and is available brand new.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Somehow once you start messing about with Chipmunk's they lose there appeal with me. It's not something I mind on aircraft like the Sea Fury but with the Chippy it kind of spoils the whole package. Just my opinon, ment in light hearted banter. :)

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hey, nice to read of the esteem in which our good ol' homegrown Chipmunk is held! One sees quite a few of them up here; nearly all of them sooner or later take on some variation of 50s-60s RCAF yellow training livery, and I've only seen one or two in Canadian registry with non-DH power. Hadn't seen this "AVG" spin on the Chip before...it's certainly striking. I have seen re-engined Chips at shows Stateside wearing equally warlike tongue-in-cheek liveries...one was pretending to be a Spitfire 24, the other a Sea Fury! Would post pix if I had the means to.

S.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hmm... not entirely my cup of tea, but I wouldn't kick it out of the hangar... ;)

Member for

20 years 3 months

Thought this thread might have been about the two Chipmunks at Gatow, Berlin in the 60s. ;)

,70s & 80s. One now with the bbmf

Spose the other Chippy warbird could be the "spitmunk" - a standard T10 in AAC camo that the BFWF had in the mid 70s -early 80s.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Spose the other Chippy warbird could be the "spitmunk" - a standard T10 in AAC camo that the BFWF had in the mid 70s -early 80s.

Aah, the Spitmunk - WP964, at Greenham Common 1976. An underexposed original, of a dark subject on an overcast day! - tried to tart it up a bit, any suggestions?

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

When I look at WP964, I think it's a shame that people can mess up a nice chipmunk like that. Can't they buy some cheap silly modern kitt and built some new plane. :rolleyes:

So you might guess that I don't like this modification. ;)

J.V.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Yeah, these Yanks and sticking the wrong engine on things... shouldn't be allowed.

Chipmunks had quite an aerobatics history in the states when equipped with a larger engine. Art Scholl's "Super Chipmunk" is even in the Smithsonian.

Don't be such a snob. :D Chippies are hardly rare and not particularly historic, so anything that keeps one in the air is okay by me.
This conversion is on par with what has been done to Stearmans in the UK (Utterly Butterly & Crunchie airshow teams), with bigger engines and different paint.
Andfrom an operational standpoint, orignial engines are hardly thick on the ground in the USA.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Hey, nice to read of the esteem in which our good ol' homegrown Chipmunk is held! One sees quite a few of them up here; nearly all of them sooner or later take on some variation of 50s-60s RCAF yellow training livery, and I've only seen one or two in Canadian registry with non-DH power. Hadn't seen this "AVG" spin on the Chip before...it's certainly striking. I have seen re-engined Chips at shows Stateside wearing equally warlike tongue-in-cheek liveries...one was pretending to be a Spitfire 24, the other a Sea Fury! Would post pix if I had the means to.

S.

Steve, if you want to e-mail them to me, I'll stick them up for you.

Member for

20 years 3 months

[QUOTE=J Boyle]

:D Chippies are hardly rare and not particularly historic,
QUOTE]

Not historic!? Chippy first flew in December 1946, thats like saying the DC6, Bell X1, Westland Wyvern etc are'nt "historic" -they all flew in 1946!

Member for

20 years 3 months

When I look at WP964, I think it's a shame that people can mess up a nice chipmunk like that. Can't they buy some cheap silly modern kitt and built some new plane. :rolleyes:

So you might guess that I don't like this modification. ;)

J.V.

Those "people" were the Army Air Corps who used this one off chippy to train IIRC forward air controllers and needed a more combat - looking machine rather than a bright red and white trainer. Much rather have this official scheme than the Red Bull sea vixen