Spitfire 18 SM969

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Does anyone happen to have any photos of Doug Arnold's Spitfire 18 SM969 in flight? (Or any good pics of it at all??)

There's a beauty in one of Jeremy Flack's books which I'd love to scan in for my screensaver, but there's a whopping great page-join down the middle! :(

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hi Daz,

Took me a while to get around to getting this for you. Pics are not great, but they may be of some interest to you. They were taken at Biggin Hill (cant remember what year).

Member for

20 years 9 months

Many thanks, Darren.

That second is very nice - reminds me of one of the HKAAF Spitfire 24s!

Thanks again :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

I think the year those photo's were taken was 1992,the same year Diamond Lil attended the show.This was one of the first airshows I ever attended and I think it was the only time SM969 appeared in public.I have a couple of albums' worth of photo's of the show,including some of '969 and the other WoGB Spits,but they're in deep storage at the mo.I've been meaning to dig them out and share them for ages,hopefully I'll get round to it before too long.

Member for

20 years 9 months

She only appeared once in public?? And since, what, 1993, she's been stuck in a box? :(

Ant, we would, of course, love to see them.

Member for

24 years 4 months

November 92 in a container.... Rumour has it that it poked it's nose out recently though, maybe we will all get to see it again one day...

Member for

24 years 4 months

I think the year those photo's were taken was 1992,the same year Diamond Lil attended the show.This was one of the first airshows I ever attended and I think it was the only time SM969 appeared in public.I have a couple of albums' worth of photo's of the show,including some of '969 and the other WoGB Spits,but they're in deep storage at the mo.I've been meaning to dig them out and share them for ages,hopefully I'll get round to it before too long.

Ant,

I think your right Ant. I too have pics of the other two WofGB spits that were in the line up. Its such a shame that they are currently stored, but I am sure this won't be forever!

Member for

20 years 9 months

November 92 in a container.... Rumour has it that it poked it's nose out recently though, maybe we will all get to see it again one day...

Is she for sale, or is she heading over to Greenham Common, for whatever is going on there?

Member for

19 years 6 months

It was recently in Norfolk. I saw a picture of it in a construction magazine last year.

Member for

20 years 8 months

SM969 appeared at,at least,one other airshow;the Cranfield Show in September 1991 where she turned up along with Doug Arnold's Wildcat and Bearcat.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

Thanks for those. :)

Member for

20 years 9 months

From Jeremy Flack's book, Spitfire - The Legend Lives On:

Unique among airworthy Spitfires is Warbirds of Great Britain's F MkXVIIIE SM969/G-BRAF, the [then] only surviving flyable example of what is widely regarded as the definitive Griffon-engined variant, and the last Spitfire to retain the classic elliptical wing planform. Only 300 MkXVIIIEs were built. SM969 was manufactured at Keevil in the summer of 1945, despatched by sea to Karachi in January 1946 and came back to England 18 months later, apparently remaining in its packing crate until sold to the Indian Air Force in 1949. Doug Arnold of WoGB bought the aeroplane from the Indian Government in 1978. It flew again after rebuild on 12 October 1985 in the hands of Rolls-Royce Bristol and Shuttleworth Collection chief pilot John Lewis. Stored once more for several years, it was photographed at the 1991 Cranfield Air Show on a rare public foray from its Biggin Hill base, looking refreshingly 'different' in its all-silver post-war colour scheme and personal D-A 'code' of David Arnold, Doug's son.

Member for

24 years 4 months

I remember seeing her fly over here (Haslemere) when Doug Arnold was shifting his collection from Biggin to Bournemouth. IIRC, I just happened to be listening to Dunsfold on the air band and was about to turn it off when I heard the pilot ask if they would like a flyby. :)

I also seem to recall NH238 fly overhead quite high a few days later.

Btw, I wonder why Doug Arnold had a preference for two cannons on these Spits? :confused:

Cheers

Paul

Member for

20 years 11 months

Is she for sale, or is she heading over to Greenham Common, for whatever is going on there?

Who would want to buy it?

Good basis for a restoration maybe.

If the price was right.

If you had to have a Spit XVIII, I'd go and talk to HFL.

As we have said many times before,the Arnold collection were dismantled and crated,not dismantled, inhibited,and packed for long term storage.

There is a massive difference.

Member for

24 years 4 months

As I understand it,the former WoGB airframes were carefully dismantled and inhibited for long term storage.IIRC,when the PR.XI was sold and re-activated in 2000 she was found to be in pretty much spotless condition,save some moisture in her wooden prop blades which were replaced.
I stand corrected on '969's public appearances,glad she was seen out and about more than once,and good to hear that there may be some developments in the near future.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Here's a couple more of the Spit XVIII at Cranfield in '91 as well as one of the Bearcat

Andy Sephton was the pilot of the XVIII.

Not sure about the Bearcat and Wildcat. I think Chris Bevan flew several WoGB aircraft around that time so he may be one of the pilots

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

Thanks for the pics. It'd be interesting to hear how Andy compares the Mk18 to his usual mount.

Member for

20 years 11 months

As I understand it,the former WoGB airframes were carefully dismantled and inhibited for long term storage.IIRC,when the PR.XI was sold and re-activated in 2000 she was found to be in pretty much spotless condition,save some moisture in her wooden prop blades which were replaced.
I stand corrected on '969's public appearances,glad she was seen out and about more than once,and good to hear that there may be some developments in the near future.

The airframes were NOT inhibited.

I know this as a Fact.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Thanks for the pics. It'd be interesting to hear how Andy compares the Mk18 to his usual mount.

Rod Dean flew the Bearcat

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hi Bentwingbomber,
You're quite right,the WoGB airframes were NOT inhibited before storage,I've just had a whisper in my ear from another forumite to that effect and I stand corrected. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

So if they are finally extracted from the containers, they would need to be restored again? As it has been some years since PL983 was sold and refurbished. Damp can be a nasty thing.

Cees