Blackburn Skua - Survivors

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

Apart from Blackburn Skua L2910 and L2940 are there any other survivors. A few years ago I read about large numbers of FAA being found off Sydney - Australia. They had been dumped off shore after VJ day. Were any of these aircraft the Blackburn Skua?

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Apart from Blackburn Skua L2910 and L2940 are there any other survivors. A few years ago I read about large numbers of FAA being found off Sydney - Australia. They had been dumped off shore after VJ day. Were any of these aircraft the Blackburn Skua?

These are the only complete survivors. There are a large number of components in Norway, many of which have been collected by museums and may eventually make their way into a rebuild or replica. These include mainwheels that were used on an oxygen bottle dolly, main gear oleos used as jacks in a garage and even propeller blades being used as gateposts. There are probably others on lake beds, but apart from the Yeovilton and Bodo examples I know of no other more-or-less complete Skuas.

Given that Skuas were removed from frontline duty in 1941, I doubt there were many left by VJ day to be dumped off carriers. A number had been used for training and as target tugs and the last of these was struck off charge in July 1945. The jigs were broken up in 1939 and so the Skuas were only retained as long as spares remained. No major airframe parts could be manufactured after the start of the war. I would therefore expect that most of them that weren't shot down were scrapped during the war or ended up on fire dumps etc.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Someone mentioned that BAe Brough were planning to build a replica?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Someone mentioned that BAe Brough were planning to build a replica?

If they are, they didn't mention it to me. Detailed designs don't exist any more although there are quite a few drawings for components around and plenty of info on where everything went and how it was built. A metal-skinned wooden replica like the Defiant would be feasible. Bodo has a cockpit recreation too I believe.

Member for

20 years 8 months

A few years ago I read about large numbers of FAA being found off Sydney - Australia. They had been dumped off shore after VJ day. Were any of these aircraft the Blackburn Skua?

Those aircraft were dumped because they were American origin Lend-Lease aircraft and had to be destroyed or returned. They would not be Skuas because a) as XN923's said that's a bit late for Skuas to be hanging around (and how would they have reached Australia?) and b) they aren't an American type.