Bedford QL refueller

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

I have been hunting for a photo of the QL refueller with booms in WW2 service. I've come up with scores showing QLs without booms but not a single one with them.

This may be a shortcoming in my reference library but I would be very pleased if I could find just one - can anyone out there help?

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

Support Vehicles

No idea about the vehicle end of things at all, however I have attached pictures of two support vehicles, that we have under restoration!

Regards

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is this a trick question? One appears to be a Bedford QL and the other ???

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is this a trick question? One appears to be a Bedford QL and the other ???

if it's supposed to be a refueller is doing an excellent impression of what appears to be a Coles crane.

(No idea what the chassis is...)

Member for

19 years 10 months

David

The other is a Thorneycroft Crane of WW2 Vintage!

Vehicle Details> Model: Amazon WF/AC6
Engine: NR6 7.88 Litre Diesel
Service Details: entered service with RAF in 1943, service No 18 AC53.
During its service life was based at RAF Coltishall.

Regards to all!

Member for

18 years 7 months

I tried a quick google out of interest, and all I found reference to the old Airfix kit which includes various shots of the completed MODEL not the real thing?
Airfix Bedford QL

Probably not much to go on - and I'm sure I had a photo of a real one somewhere in a book, but they're all in the loft at the moment :eek:

Member for

18 years 11 months

Nice pictures Wessex Fan, Thornycroft Amazons are rare beasties (I can only think of four still left), looks like yours is the long wheelbase version as well. As for the link XF382 posted, looks like the entirely blue one is the WW2 version.

If you go onto the IWM collections page http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk, go to the photographs section and type in 'bowser' some good (although small) photos come up of Bedford QL bowsers

Member for

19 years 10 months

Nice pictures Wessex Fan, Thornycroft Amazons are rare beasties (I can only think of four still left), looks like yours is the long wheelbase version as well. As for the link XF382 posted, looks like the entirely blue one is the WW2 version.

If you go onto the IWM collections page http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk, go to the photographs section and type in 'bowser' some good (although small) photos come up of Bedford QL bowsers

The Amazon was gifted to us about a year ago, the only condition attached to the gift was that we did not use it for lifting things. Everything does work, although it helps to be Arnold Schwarzenegger when driving it!

Eric

Member for

20 years 1 month

Bedford Ql refueller

Fassberg 1952, I was a driver on the refuelling flight where we used QLs and AEC Matadors to refuell the Vampires, "I don't know the squadrons," those QLs would only do 4 miles per gall and going round the peri track bends they would slowly heel over as gravity pushed the fuel past the baffles, they had a capacity of 500 galls if my memory is correct, the booms swung round guided with a rope, sometimes sparks would fly at the nozzle end due to static electricity though only noticed at night The pic of the Thornycroft also brought back recollections of the Coles crane I collected from Butzwielerhof and used at Bruggen, this one had a petrol engine, and I think a shorter wheel-base than the one illustrated. Thanks for the memory.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Fassberg 1952, I was a driver on the refuelling flight where we used QLs and AEC Matadors to refuell the Vampires, "I don't know the squadrons," those QLs would only do 4 miles per gall and going round the peri track bends they would slowly heel over as gravity pushed the fuel past the baffles, they had a capacity of 500 galls if my memory is correct, the booms swung round guided with a rope, sometimes sparks would fly at the nozzle end due to static electricity though only noticed at night The pic of the Thornycroft also brought back recollections of the Coles crane I collected from Butzwielerhof and used at Bruggen, this one had a petrol engine, and I think a shorter wheel-base than the one illustrated. Thanks for the memory.

I was interested to hear you memories of Fassberg, your comment about static electricity caught my attention, I assume this did not happen during fuelling of the aircraft.

Regards

Eric

Member for

24 years 3 months

oh dear
HI-OCTAIN will be getting over excited if we start puttig pickies of bowsers on the web :diablo:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Bedford QL refueller

Hi Eric, Yes I mean when refuelling, of course it was only kerosine, I suppose it was because the ground chain was not making a good contact. I am sorry I have no time at the moment to relate all the stories of Fassberg, "and I have heaps," at the moment. Perhaps you were there around 52 53, if so get in touch.

Member for

19 years 8 months

REFUELLING FIRES IN RAF GERMANY

On the day that 256 Sqn (I think that was its number) arrived at Bruggen from Wahn during 1956 the aircraft (Meteor NF11) were being refuelled by booms from a Faun or Bussing bowser. As the tanks reached full the refueller released the nozzle trigger and the pressure pulse bounced back to the bowser, which should have sensed the increase in pressure and shut down the pumps.

Unfortunately, the pulse of increased pressure ruptured the rubber hose at the top of the boom. As a result the pressure was not sensed by the bowser which did not shut off and continued to pump fuel (AVTAG) onto the apron. Being more volatile than AVTUR, vapours from the spilled fuel were sucked into the engine air antake and the engine revved up, pumping out the fuel even faster. As flames began to pour from the exhaust of the revving engine the inevitable happened and the whole lot went up in smoke.

A very brave driver jumped into the cab of the bowser and drove it away but a couple of aircraft were lost in the conflagration. The cause of this was not static electricity, but the effect was just as dramatic.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Besford Q L refueller

Iaian w, If you go to www.dc3history.org/ berlin you willfind a gogd shot of what you are looking for. :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi Eric, Yes I mean when refuelling, of course it was only kerosine, .

Never but never disrespect the grade of fuel, one flashes at a lower Temp . another burns at a much higher temp & for longer.
Sorry end of HSE bit.
AEC Mamoth Major circa 1956 would be the Beast I currently use, No pressure saftys or anything in that manner of control, just eyeball Mk1 & neck hairs.
doG MK1 1 for the use of !!!!!!!!! :diablo:

Member for

17 years 8 months

Hi,

Is there any evidence of Bedford QL bowsers being used by the USAAF during WW2??

Thanks,

Garry.