Hunter 'blue note'

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

For all those who have heard it, the Blue note produced by the Hawker Hunter is a wonderful sound. I have heard this sound produced by Meteors and Canberras but not of the same intensity.

Question is, what exactly produces the sound.

Having talked to many Hunter pilots, old and new, there seems to be no definitive answer. Some seem to think that because the T7 doesn't produce the goods, the four gun barrels in the single seaters are the culprits. Others say that it is shock wave build up or jet pipe resonance.

Anyone know the real answer?

PS If you haven't heard the blue note, get hold of a copy of the film 'High Flight'.

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Blue Note

Dak
The blue note is definately gun based, not engine. Kennets F6A produces the classic note (original gun barrels fitted), Swiss Hunters less so (same engine, different gun muzzles). Meteor F8 Winston, again a classic note (guns in place). NF11, no note (same engines, no guns). Apart from the actual barrels (obviously disarmed!!), the cartridge ejector chutes also contribute as "organ pipes". Fantastic noise!!

Member for

17 years 8 months

A gorgeous sound. Anyone got it as an audio file. What a ring tone that would make for your mobile phone! :cool:

Interestingly, while not the blue note, I seem to remember F-104s having a similarly distinctive howl, as did USAF F4s but not the British ones. Does anyone have similar memories??

Member for

17 years 3 months

For all those who have heard it, the Blue note produced by the Hawker Hunter is a wonderful sound. I have heard this sound produced by Meteors and Canberras but not of the same intensity.

The term Blue note was originally coined to describe the sound caused by reheat under certain circumstances (combustion howl). It is normally called reheat buzz or screech these days.

Member for

17 years 3 months

A gorgeous sound. Anyone got it as an audio file. What a ring tone that would make for your mobile phone! :cool:

Interestingly, while not the blue note, I seem to remember F-104s having a similarly distinctive howl, as did USAF F4s but not the British ones. Does anyone have similar memories??

F104s and US F4s had J79 engines, the Brits used RR Spey engines. Indeed the F104 fit was very prone to howl. I always found it a dreadful sound.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Blue note on meteor here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.gage/meatbox.rm

a few years ago I uploaded this, forgot about and it is now link from someone elses site (grump over). Still if they hadn't done that I would have lost it. I think it dates from 1999 or 2000 so video is pretty compressed as it was in days before adsl. File is real media and it is the second pass that he gets musical

Member for

17 years 3 months

The best Hunter I have heard produce a blue note is without a doubt Misdemeanor:cool:

Attachments

Member for

17 years 7 months

Hunter Blue Note

Hi

Anyone who attended the 50th Anniversary of the Hawker Hunter at Kemble in2001, would have been able to experience the sight and sound of a Hunter making the distinctive "Blue Note" sound. The display was by Hunter F-6A
XF516 and the pilot on that occasion was former Lightning display pilot, John Aldington.

Freebird

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hi

Anyone who attended the 50th Anniversary of the Hawker Hunter at Kemble in2001, would have been able to experience the sight and sound of a Hunter making the distinctive "Blue Note" sound. The display was by Hunter F-6A
XF516 and the pilot on that occasion was former Lightning display pilot, John Aldington.

Freebird

Agreed, it was a wonderful day.

The Blue Note is generally accepted to be primarily produced by airflow over and through the gun ports.

Poor old XF516 is very much missed and was the only Hunter at the time able to produce the Blue Note properly - because it had original blast tubes and an original gun pack in place. Despite what some will try and convince you, ex-Swiss Hunters like Miss Demeanor can't do it because of the blast deflectors. Kennet's XF515 doesn't give the full effect either because it has an electric start system fitted where the gun pack innards used to be and so the blast tubes have been tinkered with.

Thankfully we now have XE601 flying which carries on the tradition of being the only Hunter able to produce the Blue Note properly - see multivac's first youtube link in the previous post (Brian Grant being the pilot on that occasion).

Member for

20 years 7 months

Agreed, it was a wonderful day.

Poor old XF516 is very much missed and was the only Hunter at the time able to produce the Blue Note properly (I don't care what anyone says, ex-Swiss Hunters like Miss Demeanor can't do it). Thankfully we now have XE601 flying which carries on the tradition of being the only Hunter able to produce the Blue Note properly - see multivac's first youtube link in the previous post (Brian Grant being the pilot on that occasion).

I believe that XF515 was also part of the display that day and she too, can produce that awesome BLUE NOTE, although not as good as 516 used to be.

I have had the fortune to have been on the receiving of a Jonathan Whalley/Miss Demeanour airfield beat up (and more than once) during my time as part of the Kemble Air Services Airfield Maintenance Team, we were prime targets with our high viz's on and I can confirm that I have never heard her produce a Bluey.

Member for

24 years 4 months

buccsociety, it seems you were writing your post at the same time I was editing mine! I'm glad we came to the same conclusions on XF515 and Miss Demeanour!:)

Member for

24 years 4 months

Despite what some will try and convince you, ex-Swiss Hunters like Miss Demeanor can't do it because of the blast deflectors.

Now correct me if I am wrong. I think I have heard Miss D produce the blue note and I think I have it on video. Oh well must drag out all the old airshow videos again. My wife will be pleased.

I shall look out the vids and listen closely.

keep you posted.

Member for

24 years 4 months

I don't know what Jet Heritage/Eric Hayward did, but there are two other Hunters in Europe that can produce a noise likened to a Blue Note! The first is T.7 G-VETA now based at Exeter with Skyblue Aviation, and the second is Karl Theurer's T.68 G-HVIP.
Superb :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

There was a 'blue note' before all these newfangled jet thingies, made by the original Fairey Flycatcher in a dive. Obviously a different origin and probably sound (I know of no existing recordings) but that's what the RN chaps called in back then.

Member for

18 years 7 months

There was a 'blue note' before all these newfangled jet thingies, made by the original Fairey Flycatcher in a dive. Obviously a different origin and probably sound (I know of no existing recordings) but that's what the RN chaps called in back then.

I was about to post the very same thing! Apparently it was caused when the Flycatcher dived and then levelled out and throttled back so it might have something to do with a particular resonance at a certain engine/prop speed or something...

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi XN,

Gotta get up early...

Here's a the sound of the Temora Aviation Museum's Meteor F-8 (the ex-Winston alluded to earlier) making a low pass. It's on this page, from Keith Webb's Old CMP website:

http://www.oldcmp.net/Aircraft_sounds.html

And sound like this:

http://www.oldcmp.net/Audio/Meteor_pass.mp3

Be warned - it starts off silent, you turn it up, them WHAM. ;)

Member for

24 years 4 months

I was about to post the very same thing! Apparently it was caused when the Flycatcher dived and then levelled out and throttled back so it might have something to do with a particular resonance at a certain engine/prop speed or something...

The P51 also makes a distinctive sound in the dive....not so much a blue note, more of a scream!

Member for

24 years 4 months

I don't know what Jet Heritage/Eric Hayward did, but there are two other Hunters in Europe that can produce a noise likened to a Blue Note! The first is T.7 G-VETA now based at Exeter with Skyblue Aviation, and the second is Karl Theurer's T.68 G-HVIP.
Superb :D

The Mark 68 is a twin-gun job, so I wonder if that makes a difference with the T-birds? Can't explain G-VETA though, unless the boys at Exeter have been drilling holes in strategic places so it makes nice noises!:D

Member for

20 years 8 months

But that Boomerang sounds unbelievable!!
http://www.oldcmp.net/Audio/Boomerang.mp3

Thanks James!!

Don't thank me, thank Matt Denning who basically spent his whole life rebuilding it, and Keith Webb's excellent sound man recording it.

It's a pleasure to have seen it, and met Matt.