Wanted! WW2 French Air Force uniform

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Dear All - especially international forumites, Sywell Aviation Museum is currently looking for a WW2 french air force uniform to complete a display - many hundreds of Free French were trained at Sywell and as such we need a uniform to form a display about them.... I am looking on French ebay and the occasional jacket turns up, but we are looking for the cap, jacket and trousers...can anyone help? We are quite willing to pay a reasonable price for a good example!:eek:

Thanks for looking!

TT

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Apart from the hat and uniform insignia they wore standard RAF issue uniform as far as I'm aware, so if you can get a hat and insignia you could make up a representive uniform more easily.

Ebay is OK, but a trip over the 'manche' to one of the big French militaria fairs might be a better bet.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Should be plenty of French uniforms out there, unused.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Should be plenty of French uniforms out there, unused.

Is that like the old joke...
"For Sale: Italian Army rifle...only dropped once."?

The above is meant for the purpose of historical humor identification only.
Resemblance to any person living or dead or any nationality and or armed force is coincidental.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hi all -

thanks Firebird, I know that RAF kit was issued to the Free French with a 'France' Shoulder Title, however the first courses through Sywell retained the FAF uniform. In fact even as late as 1944, some crews retained/bought their FAF caps, and sometimes had uniforms tailored for them in the French style. Many uniforms were even made in the states and shipped over -

Therefore, we are looking for a FAF uniform! :)

Can anyone help?

TT

Member for

17 years 8 months

You'll make a lousy de Gaulle lookalike TT!:diablo:

Member for

24 years 4 months

An example of a Free French uniform on the right.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/en830/Misc/thre-bushellscheidhauer-l.jpg

Member for

20 years 2 months

Thanks Ian -

Note different cap and wings - from the 6 EFTS photos we have many Frenchmen wore uniforms akin to those of the FAF before the Armistace- think BoB film 'twos up' in the Hurricane in the first reel....

so - any leads anyone! :)

TT