Battle of Britain Surviving Aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

The Peter Vacher thread had me wondering, What other aircraft if any from the Battle are still flying or are being rebuilt to fly?

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

The BBMf's P7350 claims to be the only flying Spitfire in the world who served in the Battle of Britain.

Member for

24 years 4 months

There's a Bf109E in the US, once flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille, IIRC. There's also a V-series Hurricane (a quick Google reveals V7497) being restored in Suffolk. However I think this is a data-plate job...

Adrian

Possibly an Me 109 E from the Battle to be rebuilt to fly in the future. Pre-Battle of Britain there is a Spitfire I from the Dunkirk era and another Mk I also underway.

There's a Bf109E in the US, once flown by Hans-Joachim Marseille, IIRC. There's also a V-series Hurricane (a quick Google reveals V7497) being restored in Suffolk. However I think this is a data-plate job...

Adrian

Yes....the data plate came from me. I dug it up about 25years ago!!

Member for

24 years 4 months

Tangmere1940, I'd be extremely interested to hear more (and see photos, if you have any) as I went to school in East Sutton and am very fond of the place. By PM is probably best or we'll derail the thread!

Adrian

Member for

24 years 4 months

Possibly an Me 109 E from the Battle to be rebuilt to fly in the future.

I assume that this is the one is the ex Indian one

Member for

20 years 9 months

The BBMf's P7350 claims to be the only flying Spitfire in the world who served in the Battle of Britain.

Claims??

:rolleyes:

Having said that, what a formation that would be: P7, Peter Vacher's Hurricane, and Ed Russell's Bf109E....

Member for

19 years 11 months

What about the former Peter Foote Me-109E (now at DX)? I seem to remember that this was a JG-26 veteran of the BoB. What about the former Alpine Fighter Collection's Hurricane in NZ too? That served in the Battle of France, and presumeably BoB too. There must be quite a few aircraft out there that did see service in the May-Nov 1940 time period... more than 10 I would think, but fewer than 20. How many of them are highly original though, must be in some doubt.

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Foote's 109-E (W Nr 1190) is not in the being rebuilt to fly category, but if you are looking at BofB survivors then you also have the Hurricanes at the Science Museum and Battle of Britain Museum, Hendon, and I think the Science Museum Spitfire too. I forget the various serial no's.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Peter Foote's 109-E (W Nr 1190) is not in the being rebuilt to fly category, but if you are looking at BofB survivors then you also have the Hurricanes at the Science Museum and Battle of Britain Museum, Hendon, and I think the Science Museum Spitfire too. I forget the various serial no's.

The IWM Spitfire I in Lambeth has a remarkable history, inc BoB and claims.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Only those BoBaircraft that are flying or being restored to fly not static survivors please.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Well P3351(Tim Wallis's Hurri) may have served in the Battle of France, but for the BoB....
"All was going well until, in the early hours of Sunday 21st July 1940, Alf Scott flying P3351 misjudged the runway and undershot, landing heavily. The undercarriage subsequently collapsed and the aircraft tipped on its nose. It was not a good night for the Squadron as three Hurricanes were damaged (including another by Scott) and all were put aside to be collected by the repair people.

As the Battle of Britain raged P3351 was sent for repairs.By early September, fitted with a new engine, she was transferred to 32 Squadron at Acklington"

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=hurricane

So, apart from being a substantially rebuilt aircraft, it seems P3351 missed out on the BoB.......

Member for

20 years 9 months

I wouldn't say so. The general consensus is that the Battle went from 10th July to 31st October 1940. OK, she did sit out quite a large chunk of it, but she did a wee bit....

Member for

16 years 9 months

I was just reading through this post and realised that only BBMF's P7350 seem to have confirmed BoB action.

So:

Peter Vacher's Hurricane R4118.

BBMF's Spitfire P7350.

A possible Bf109E in the States (is that the one named as Ed Russell's later?).

P3351 may and may not have seen BoB action.

And Possibly an Me 109 E being rebuild (Indian one?).

Thats not really a lot.

Am I wrong in assuming, that anyone owning a BoB veteran, would make sure EVERYBODY knew about it?

Member for

20 years 9 months

I was just reading through this post and realised that only BBMF's P7350 seem to have confirmed BoB action.

So:

BBMF's Spitfire P7350.

A possible Bf109E in the States (is that the one named as Ed Russell's later?).

And Possibly an Me 109 E being rebuild (Indian one?).

Thats not really a lot.

Am I wrong in assuming, that anyone owning a BoB veteran, would make sure EVERYBODY knew about it?

The Flying Heritage Collection's '109E hasn't been mentioned, has it?

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Flying Heritage Collection's '109E hasn't been mentioned, has it?

There has been talks about two US Bf109s. One was just said to be in the US, the other was called Ed Russell's. They might be the same.

If the Flying Heritage Collection has another, then its 2 or 3 in the States. But they could all be the same aircraft.

Member for

24 years 4 months

What about bombers?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Given the number of bombers surviving and airworthy from the movie version, I suspect that the number will be a big fat nil. I'm not even sure how many intact bombers survive that were even flying at the time of the BoB (R-Robert springs to kind, and possibly a Stuka at Hendon, but no others).

Adrian
(always glad to be proved wrong on these things, though!)

Member for

24 years 4 months

The Flying Heritage 109 and Ed Russell's are 2 different aircraft, same restorer however....

Member for

16 years 9 months

Well i found that the Ed Russell and the Flying Heritage Collection are two different aircraft (maybe many already knew this).

That makes the list:

Airworthy:

BBMF's Spitfire P7350.

Ed Russell's Bf109E CF-EML (cn 3579).

Under restoration:

Possibly an Me 109 E being rebuild (Indian one?).

Flying Heritage Collection's Bf109E-3.

Unknown: