Airborne Aircraft Carriers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hello
First post here in a while, I am sure someone will have some more information than I can find out, With regard to Airships being used as a sort of airborne aircraft carriers in WW1. it seems that aeroplanes were fitted on top of small airships, with the idea that they would be floated up to a prescribed height and sit there until a zeppelin was sighted, engines were then started and the aeroplanes would fly off their airships and hence, be already at the correct height ( more or less) to intercept them. Tests were, apparently, carried out at the airship station at Kingsnorth. With the result that on release one of the hooks that held the aeroplane did not disengage and balloon and aeroplane plummeted to the ground.
Can anyone supply any more info on this?
Many thanks
DEZZ :)

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

I was under the impression that the first British test for parasite a/c was in 1925 with DH Hummingbird and then Gloster Grebe a/c,but I have no doubt that the concept was mooted during WW1.
Hopefully somebody on here might know of an earlier test.

cheers baz

Member for

18 years 2 months

His Majesty's Airship 23 (later R23 ) dropped Camels in 1918.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Thanks for the reply’s chaps. It must have been quite hairy, :eek:
I dont think i would fancy it , unless I had the regulation brown trousers on :D
Dezz

Member for

20 years 9 months

Scarier still would be the Russian-designed aircraft which had its parasitic aircraft reattach in flight...!

Member for

19 years 3 months

Scarier still would be the Russian-designed aircraft which had its parasitic aircraft reattach in flight...!

25 ds is correct,R23 dropped one camel with a dummy in the cockpit and then one with Lt Keys on board,over Pulham Airship Station Norfolk.
The R33 trials did include airborne reattachment of the DH53's but not the Grebes apparently.

http://www.aht.ndirect.co.uk/airships/hma23/index.html

cheers baz

Member for

18 years 2 months

The US Navy airships 'Akron' and 'Macon' was used as an aerial aircraft carriers in the 1930s. The used Curtiss F9c Sparrowhawks. When the wreck of the Macon was found in the Pacific some years ago the remains of three Sparrowhawks where in the wreckage!

Member for

20 years 10 months

I would have thought that releasing aircraft from a sufficiently high altitude would be quite advantageous in a number of ways.

It must be cheaper to use a helium based platform to elevate any number of aircraft (25 at a time. say), which could have much smaller fuel tanks, as a result of not needing to reach altitude.

An airstrip below would make an excellent site for emergency recover in case of engine failure, as well as a good place to "reload" the helium platforms.

Of course, defence of these platforms could be problematic. But who knows, we may see more of this kind of idea being used with pilotless warplanes with AI which could themselves be made cheaply enough to be expendable.

(Did I just describe missiles?)