The Last Dambuster - "military history" channel

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

I’ve just been watching “the last Dambuster”, documentary about Johnnie Johnson, bomb aimer on the only aircraft to reach the Sorpe dam. It’s showing on “military history channel” on Sky.

Very moving, the guy is amazing, first treks to France to see them dig up his old aircraft. Lost in December 1943 on a drop to the Marquis. They identified it as it had a ventral hatch for a machine gun. Something I never knew about any of the “upkeep” aircraft. Then he goes onto Germany to visit crash sites of some the aircraft that didn’t make it to the Sorpe.

Well worth it if only to hear what he has to say about “retrospective” historians who question the need of the raid and its merits. First he says if he meets any of them he hopes his hands are tied (he was 86 at the time….) and then he says he’ll ask them two questions. “Were you there? And are you aware of the circumstances in which we flew and prepared?” The answer to both is no so shut your b****y mouth.

If you’ve not seen it – take an hour, wonderful TV, fantastic bloke, moved by the losses and also the raid.

People claim David Bekham is a “hero” – go watch Johnnie Johnson and tell me what he is!

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

I agree a definate must watch without a doubt.

I also agree with his view on 'historians' they also forget the long term effect of the raid on future events.

But watch it, it is worth an hour of your life (or sky + it and save 15 minutes in adverts).

curlyboy