Hurricane Ike -Lone Star flight Museum?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

With the monster storm "Ike" in the Gulf coming in, does anyone know if the Lone Star Flight Museum is evacuating their flying stock inland? It is really starting to look very bad for that area. Their site states that they have closed.......dah!!! Hopefully everyone is paying a close attention!

A lot of damage is going to be done...it is just a question of where

Does anyone know if the LSFM Hurricane that got pranged a few months ago there is fixed yet? Their site still has it listed as being "under restoration"

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

I went to Galveston last month on a family holiday. I managed to get the morning off and had went to the Lone star museum, it's well worth a visit.
Hear is the Hurricane

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m63/Cking507/DSCF1560.jpg

There was nobody around to ask how the repairs were going but I did notice that the horizontal stabilizer was stuck on a rack behind the aircraft and looked a bit chewed up. According to the good folks over on WIX the wing is off site being repaired.

Rgds Cking

Member for

20 years 8 months

The museum is closed because of the Hurricane http://www.lsfm.org/
Lets hope everyone can stay safe and the planes are as well protected as can possibly be.
Be safe everyone.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Well, Galveston took a mighty thrashing. The Lone Star Flight Museum is still standing but it sounds like extensive (expensive) damage. All museum personnel seem to be safe though. That is the most important. They did get the flyable A/C out.
Here is a chunk of a statement from LSFM

September 14, 2008 10:00 a.m. - Galveston, Texas

All museum staff are safe following passage of Hurricane IKE.

Damage to the museum is substantial. The extent of the damage has yet to be assessed by LSFM officials and staff. As soon as the preliminary assessment has been made we will post information here. As soon as possible we will let you know about reorganization and reopening.

Prior to IKE’s arrival, pilots were able to fly the following aircraft out of harm’s way: B-17, B-25, DC-3,P-47, F6F, F4U, SBD, AT-11, P-6 and the F8F.

We want to thank all of our friends and supporters for their thoughts and prayers.

Larry Gregory, President
September 14, 2008 10:00 a.m. - Galveston, Texas

Member for

17 years 6 months

It does not look good. Several feet of surging saltwater and debris flooded through. The F-100 from out front is missing, so if you find one, please return it to LSFM. The freshly restored Hurri that was already damaged....parts of it were off site being repaired from the earlier incident. They have yet to allow folks out to survey the extent of the damage.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Bad news out of LSFM

from another forum

There was at least six foot of water or more inside the museum. And things are almost a total wash out. Due to the high water and wave action the B-58 took some damage to a wing. It looks like the Hurricane, Spitfire and F3 can be salvaged. The AT-11 remained in the hangar as well and Im not sure about the fate of the rest of the aircraft. The gift shop even took on water and it is higher than the hangar floors..Its going to be a waiting game now as far as the next step...LSFM is down but not out of the fight.

Member for

24 years 4 months

All museum personnel seem to be safe though. That is the most important.

Amen, brother!

This would probably not be a good time to mention the argument that unique survivors should be preserved by not flying them, as they are safer on the ground in a museum, would it?

Thought not. I'll get me coat...

Adrian

Member for

17 years 6 months

Apparently they did not lose their F-100 off it's perch. Found a link to an aerial pic of the wreckage of their airfield. Some of the smaller hangars around them were really smashed!

Here is the link to the aerial shot. The LSFM is the L shaped building just left of the amusement park.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25886033.jpg

Very sad:(
It will be a long road home for the survivors!

Member for

16 years 2 months

This would probably not be a good time to mention the argument that unique survivors should be preserved by not flying them, as they are safer on the ground in a museum, would it?

This is a good reason to keep them flying as the planes that DID get out of LSFM were the ones that were flyable!

Ryan

Member for

24 years 4 months

Of course, it depends on just where you site your museum....

Bruce

Member for

19 years 7 months

Why not fly out the private/light aircraft that scatterd around ?

Member for

19 years

Why not fly out the private/light aircraft that scatterd around ?

I guess many owners had to choose between moving their aircraft or moving their families/possessions, trying to protect their houses etc. A tough call, but I'd certainly put the welfare of my nearest and dearest way above trying to save any aircraft I might own.

And, compared to other US airports I've seen, this shot would seem to suggest a great many aircraft had been evacuated, normally stateside ramps are chock-a-block with GA types.

FYI there are photos of the damage inside the museum on another thread on this board - the devastation must be totally soul destroying for all involved at LSFM Wind damage is one thing, but flood damage takes ages to rectify, as my townsfolk here in Lewes UK know only too well.

Hang in there guys!

Paul F

Member for

19 years 6 months

Galveston airport is a very quiet airport. There is a lot of helicopter movements in the morning and afternoon, suporting the oil rigs. It did not have a lot of aircraft parked up and tied down like most American G.A. fields. I was a little disapointed in that because I was going to bore you all pictures of them!
The LSMF was a beutiful little museum and hopefully will be again.

Rgds Cking

Member for

20 years 8 months

Interesting point. One of the museum's aircraft was damaged in a landing accident (their Hawker Hurricane) and was thus unable to be flown out as a result. The damaged wing was elsewhere, so is OK. The rest of the aircraft was caught in the museum.

Another, their big, rare PB4Y-2 (N3739G, 59819) hasn't yet had its restoration and rebuild finished, so also couldn't be flown out. Any aircraft receiving maintenance couldn't... so 'airworthy' is not a full answer.

As Bruce pointed out, some of it depends on where you site your museum; another reason for UK enthusiasts to be grateful, because the UK doesn't actually have any really extreme weather (and don't talk about a bit of rain and a bit of flooding as 'extreme' - it isn't).

My sympathies to the people of the LSFM and those so hard hit in the area. Let's hope that Texan toughness can help.

Regards,

Member for

18 years 11 months

Of course, it depends on just where you site your museum....

Bruce

Indeed, Makes me wonder why the hell Kermit sited all his stuff where he did..

Member for

17 years 6 months

Galveston is indeed a in a VERY exposed position. Though this is the worst storm to hit there in a bit over a hundred years...have to keep that in context. It is, or at least was, a very popular tourist destination and thus people went to it. If you have no people going to your museum, it will eventually be wiped out as sure as a hurricane strike!

Kermit's collection had been down on the Florida east coast and was badly damaged by a hurricane. He moved and set up at his current location, on high ground, 70 miles in from the coast, and near the big tourist attractions in Orlando. A safer location for sure, but you never know when a flood, tornado, fire, earthquake, or city council will strike!

My heart goes out for the folks down there. Not just the museum, the whole area is devastated. My folks still aren't home in Houston, my daughter way up in Ohio has not had power for the last couple days thanks to Ike. 8-10 inches of rain and high winds went inland 500 miles.......just where is a safe place?

Member for

17 years

As Bruce pointed out, some of it depends on where you site your museum; another reason for UK enthusiasts to be grateful, because the UK doesn't actually have any really extreme weather (and don't talk about a bit of rain and a bit of flooding as 'extreme' - it isn't).

I, too, am glad that none of the museum staff were killed/injured. I am a retired Met Man with rellies in Florida so I look at 'the Met' with more than the average interest.
However - just to take JDK to task about the UK having no extreme weather - in Jan 1956 the wind at Saxa Vord was sufficent (120+ mph) to lift a whole Type 80 Radar antenna and its trunnions/running-gear off its mountings and dumped the whole lot 50 yds downwind!! The anemometer at Saxa Vord was especially modified to measure twice the normal range of wind speeds. In 1962, however, it recorded a wind-speed of 177 mph - and was then itself blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HTH
Resmoroh

Member for

18 years 11 months

Kermit's collection had been down on the Florida east coast and was badly damaged by a hurricane. He moved and set up at his current location, on high ground,

That would be 6, 7ft above sea level? ;)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Galveston's airfield is listed at 6', so with a 12' surge.....let me check my math, 6' in the museum....sounds about right for what they are saying.:(

Kermit's outfit, around 200 feet I think, couldn't find a solid number for his spot. I think ALL of London and it's museums are at quite a bit more of a threat than he is at this location.;)

Member for

21 years 2 months

LSFM

The museum is up on grade a bit above the normal ground level...

Galveston, Houston had minimal notice of the hurricane coming. It changed direction northward with little notice. I was in California on business and caughtthe next to last flight into IAH. Very erie to see IAH with only about 6 airplanes there and no one inside...

Museum members have to make decsions in that short time span when the storm really approaches on what to do for home, family, and the museum all at once. Evacuation out of Houston with about 5 million people, wellllll......
But it was better organized than last time.

Not knowing where the storm may go, range of aircraft... where do you fly to get out of the way? Not always cut and dry decisions... and how do you get home to your family with evacuation traffic flowing like rivers on all roads out?

I live 80-90 miles inland from Galveston and was in the direct path. winds were clocked even north of us at 105mph at a small USCG station on Lake Conroe dam/levee.
I lost a good 5 ft of roof down to the rafters and a good bit of bricks to a neighbors oak tree. But we were lucky compared to others. Great neighbors came to aid in the storm. It's amaznig the LSFM hangar held up to the pounding it took from water, waves and winds.

Ike was a category 4 or 5 storm as far as storm surge levels... The storm surges came well before the winds or Ike did.... and were 15-20 ft in places and very destructive. Then the hurricane hit.

On the bright side, the museum hangars held the planes in!!!!! and follow on help from Collings, US Navy and others has arrived, per their website updates.

Remember several years ago, FLorida got hit by about 5 or 6 hurricanes. 4 of those passed over the Orlando area, well inland, where there were many vintage aircraft sites....

You can't fight Mother Nature...

Cudos for the museum for doing all they could before and doing all they can afterward.

They are a VERY dedicated group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is hard to imagine the level of devastation to Galveston. And to areas inland but near water like Galveston Bay...

link to info on Galveston airport also shows a MIG and other aircraft
http://www.aopa.org/flightplanning/articles/2008/080917galveston.html?WT.svl=FlashHP1

some other pics, some of some aircraft also, to give you an idea as to what the LSFM faced:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html