Mosquito identification,

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hello all, i've posted a picture below of my better halves grandad in WW2 in front of a Mosquito, now the tricky bit .... can any of you please help me find out what mk it is and which squadron it was from [hoping the spinner markings might be of help]. Any help would be great,
many thanks Matt;)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/lightningnut_1980/pic87.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

It's either an NF.II or an FB.VI, if it were a II the clinchers would be the radar antenae on the nose and under the outboard wings- both just out of shot!! Perhaps this angle was chosen so as not to include these secret bits of kit?

Needle (rather than paddle-blade) props make me think it's an NF.II, although can't say for sure that early FB.VI's wouldn't have had them too.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Taking the deductions further, the black paint appears to be the early 'night finish' type which was phased out in 1942. So this looks like an early MK.II, painted in early night finish and then with green-grey camo slapped on top for night intruding. This early-ness about everything and the repeated code letter under the nose suggests 23sqn to me, but I can't prove it. 23 sqn Mossies are the only ones I've seen in this early intruder scheme with code letters repeated under the nose.

Member for

18 years 3 months

That's a great pic, thanks for posting it!

I've seen 605 Squadron aircraft with those markings as well. I've also in the back of my mind I can recall seeing a 29 Squadron aircraft with similar spinners.

What's your man's last name? I have a list of Mosquito claims which may help.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hi its abit tricky as my other half thinks he was ground crew and just posing in flight gear ...... his last name was Reeves, thankyou all for your help;)

Member for

18 years 3 months

Ah.

That does complicate things somewhat - the only Reeves I have in my db is a highly-decorated Nevil Everard Reeves.

I'd agree though with Ant that it's an NF.II - I'm also tipping an Intruder squadron.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Mosquito Identification

To throw in another possibility : could be an F.B. VI of 418 Squadron.The white spinner tip and the 'M' could well match HR241 ,coded TH-M .The squadron was based on the south coast of England (Ford) from spring 1943 in the night fighting role and if you had further clues to the location that might pin it down : the squadron had several kills,(note the swastika), some crews made double scores on the same night's operations.
This aircraft would have been A.I. radar equipped at a later period, in 1944 for bomber support duties, so there may not have been any nose antenna on this aircraft at the time of photo. (And Matt, don't be embarassed in the least that your wife's grandfather was ground crew : the lads at the sharp end couldn't have functioned without their skills and dedication...as true now as it ever was!) Well done to him ,we say! ;)

Member for

18 years 3 months

Are you sure about HR241 being on 418 Squadron? Hugh Halliday once compiled a list of all 418 squadron aircraft, and it doesn't appear there. Air Britain also suggests it was with other units.

Still, stranger things have happened...

Member for

20 years 1 month

Second hand references certainly, so always open to some doubt, but probably better if more info could be found on location of the airfield, which might pin down the squadron (assuming of course the aircraft hadn't been away from it's home base at the time of the photo, and on a visit to another airfield!)

Go on Matt, some more detective work required,talk nicely to your better half and get her on the case! :diablo:

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hello we have delved a little further and found out he was based in the Cheshire area and served on barrage balloons at Crewe,
once again many thanks for everyones input;)