Spitfire MV459 properly restored?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

Hi chaps,

Got the latest Classic Wings today and what another great issue. It was mentioned that the "restored" Indian Spitfire is to be restored to fly, any truth in that (well, I can always ask, can't I)

Cheers

Cees

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

Hi chaps,

Got the latest Classic Wings today and what another great issue. It was mentioned that the "restored" Indian Spitfire is to be restored to fly, any truth in that (well, I can always ask, can't I)

Cheers

Cees

Yes.

Mark

Member for

24 years 4 months

Depends on your definition of 'properly' - if you mean taken part - treated for corrosion and sympathetically restored with the missing parts being fabricated. Or do you mean remove useable parts - build new fuselage and wings and put the bits on it?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Looks alright to me.

Perhaps someone moved it before the glue set- same thing happened to some of my Spitfires.;)

Member for

19 years 8 months

Yes.

Mark

This wouldn't be the one which had the same 'sympathetic' restoration as the Firefly by any chance? :eek:

Member for

19 years 3 months

Looks alright to me.

Perhaps someone moved it before the glue set- same thing happened to some of my Spitfires.;)

:D:D:D
looks like somebody overtensioned the wing tether :D

cheers baz

Member for

24 years 4 months

That canopy is bizarre

Moggy

Member for

17 years

as are the exhaust stacks lol

Member for

18 years 11 months

Airworthy restoration.

So what's the deal with this aircraft then? It is to be restored to airworthiness. Any details on when it'll fly, who owns it etc?

Thanks.

Member for

24 years 4 months

The Indian Air Force is moving ahead to get a number of its Vintage and Veteran machines back in to the air, modelled on the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Spitfire NH631 will be the principal Spitfire, with MV459 forming the basis of a reserve airframe. It will be recovered from its base at Ambala, to be replaced with a more accurate GRP replica.

These small images show the recovery at the river bed/bank prior to the Ambala 'restoration'.

Provenance link to the MV459 serial ID is 100%.

Win, win all round. :)

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/8-MV459-01-001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/8-MV459-23660021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/8-MV459-har.jpg

Member for

16 years 9 months

Don't be cruel - my kids draw Spitfires that look just like that every day, especially my 4 year old..........:diablo:

Member for

17 years 8 months

Well, it's a good thing that it will be restored, who will carry out the work?

As this is also a very recent recovery, what more can we expect from India regarding wrecks. A few years ago (in the early WWW-forum days IIRC) a photograph was posted showing a Spitfire wing and a Hurricane wing alongside in the grass. Weren't there some Mk XVIII Spits still missing or rumoured in Inda.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

20 years 1 month

Well, it's a good thing that it will be restored, who will carry out the work?

As this is also a very recent recovery, what more can we expect from India regarding wrecks. A few years ago (in the early WWW-forum days IIRC) a photograph was posted showing a Spitfire wing and a Hurricane wing alongside in the grass. Weren't there some Mk XVIII Spits still missing or rumoured in Inda.

Cheers

Cees

There's also a reference in Peter Vacher's book to some Spitfire airframes still waiting to be recovered

Member for

20 years 9 months

The Indian Air Force is moving ahead to get a number of its Vintage and Veteran machines back in to the air, modelled on the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Spitfire NH631 will be the principal Spitfire, with MV459 forming the basis of a reserve airframe.

Isn't there a Hurricane in India as well, alongside NH631?

Member for

17 years 8 months

Yes,

And a Tempest II, A Spit Mk XVIII, A Lysander, a Liberator, quite a memorial flight if all would be restored to fly (didn't mention the "Wapiti" as it's more a mock up);)

Cees

Member for

24 years 4 months

I don't think the provenance of what was recovered has ever been in doubt. What I do doubt is how much of it is realistically useable without it ending up in a skip with a new fuselage in it's place. As for the Wapiti - whilst givng all the appearances of a mock up - there appears to be a substancial amount of the Westland product in .

Member for

24 years 4 months

The Mk VIII NH631 has not been on public display now for some considerable number of years.

Not so the Hurricane.

I understand that all of the above list, save for the Liberator are contenders for the IAFMF.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/HurricaneIAFPalam2005imagePRA.jpg

Member for

24 years 4 months

I don't think the provenance of what was recovered has ever been in doubt. What I do doubt is how much of it is realistically useable without it ending up in a skip with a new fuselage in it's place. As for the Wapiti - whilst givng all the appearances of a mock up - there appears to be a substancial amount of the Westland product in .

In my view, realistically, a substantial amount...if the spirit is willing. :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 4 months

Are we now in the potentially bizarre position of work being 'outsourced' from India to Suffolk and the Isle of Wight ?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Tail wheel looks abit "o er" on that hurri

cheers

Member for

24 years 4 months

Are we now in the potentially bizarre position of work being 'outsourced' from India to Suffolk and the Isle of Wight ?

Realistically, the most cost effective route. :)

...but not the Indian jets. I would imagine Bangalore will take care of them.

Mark