Soviet B-17 squadron?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

I was just browsing through my copy of "The B-17 Flying fortress story" and noted it mentions a number of B-17 flying for the Soviets during WWII.

Appearently the 890th regiment of the 45th division had seventeen B-17G aircraft in july 1945. They remained in service untill replaced by Tu-4 sometime after the war.

The book states that their fate is unknown (although it mentions rumours of a B-17 in Russia in the early 1980's). However, the book is from 1998 so I wondered if anything had surfaced about these aircraft?

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi Mondariz,

There were at least 23 B-17's in use by the Russians between 1944 until the early 1950's. The story of their use can be found in one of Finnish author Carl-Fredrik Geust's books on Soviet aviation during WW II. None of the B-17's were supplied under Lend-lease, though, instead being repaired USAAF Fortresses that had landed in Soviet-held territory in 1944 and 1945.

One of the Fortresses served as a test bed during the early 1950's for the Sokol radar, destined for the Yak-25. At least one of the Russian Fortresses was civilian registered.

Incidentally, B-24 Liberators were 'obtained' by the Russians in same fashion!

Regards,

Jan

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi Jan (actually Im also Jan - Mondariz is simply my forum handle),

Thanks for the information.
I have read before that the Soviets liked to keep diverted aircraft - they also got a B-29, which they reverse-engineered to become the Tu-4.

I guess we can assume that the majority were scrapped, but maybe there are still an airframe or two around.....we can only hope.

In the mean time, here is a picture from Operation Frantic, so we at least can see some Russians with a B-17G.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/moscow/29754/WWII/Operation%20Frantic%2001.jpg

Member for

17 years 4 months

All 23 B-17s are listed together with accompanying text in the English language book Red Stars 4 - Lend-Lease Aircraft in Russia by C-F Geust and G Petrov ISBN 952-5026-23-X (it confirms as mentioned above that none were actually supplied under Lend-Lease despite the book title).

Member for

24 years 4 months

The Soviets also used B-24's as 'trainers' for Tu-4 (B-29) crews - because of the nosewheel undercarriage.

As well as B-17's and B-24's that had landed in Soviet-held territory, they also operated two Avro Lancasters that had ended up in the Murmansk area after flying from there to bomb the Tirpitz.

About six ex-9 & 617 Sqn Lancs in various states of damage were left behind and the Soviets took the best two and put them back in the air.

They had modified noses and the turrets were removed. They were used as long-range maritime aircraft for a while.

My model of a Soviet Lanc, together with the full history, is here

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Avro/Lancaster/Airfix/FullBuild/Duffy/Lancph08.jpg

Ken

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hi Ken,

A very interesting and unusual model. I had heard about the Lancasters, but never seen any kind of photos.

Has anyone seen pictures of a Soviet B-17?

Member for

16 years 2 months

Has anyone seen pictures of a Soviet B-17?

Quite a few, yes. Carl Geust has published a small number in RS4, mentioned above. It should be borne in mind that these aircraft were not operated in any kind of 'combat' capacity, rather in a training and familiarisation role. Also quite often in an executive transport capacity, as well.

The vast majority (if not all, eventually) were de-militarised (guns and such removed), appear to have been only minimally re-painted (with Soviet markings, for example), and a fair few received civil registrations. A number were in service as early as 1944, and the Yanks appear to have had no disagreement with this kind of utilisation, even supplying spare parts and assistance on more than one occasion.

p.s. Ken, well done for 'flying the flag' on these posts, mate!