PAK-DA engines (and MCA?)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

Does anybody know the engine plans for PAK-DA? Is variable cycle being considered?

I read the piece on AW´s Ares blog discussing the potential use of F135 engines on the currently paper NGB, and it made me consider the same possibility with PAK-DA and a SINGLE engine MCA (India). An uprated 117S/127 could power initial MCA flight testing (empty load), and the time-scales for MCA and PAK-DA aren´t really that far apart in the first place. It seems win/win for Russia and India, bringing down both development and operating costs for both platforms and likely an increase in capability vs. ´Snecma Kaveri´ in AMCA.

Pie in the sky? Probably.... I´d still like to know any info on engine plans for PAK-DA :)

Original post

Member for

15 years 5 months

I'm not even sure Tupolev(KAPO) has outlined the engine requirements yet..
Afaik there aren't anything official on the wall.

http://www.oaokapo.ru/

But one thing is certain, Pak-Da will have a new engine to cope with modern requirements like nose and fuel consumtion reduction, etc etc.

Member for

13 years 4 months

PAK DA: new generation strategic missile carrier (like Tu-160, not B-2)

Requirements: Let me guess... Sustained supersonic flight (supercruise) without afterburners? high altitude, high payload, long range, stealth.

Armament: new generation hipersonic cruise missiles, nuclear capable.

Engines: New NK-xx engines, or AL-41 (big one) depending on design, if not they can stuck the PAK FA engines, available by the time it enters in service.

Status: design work carried on by Tupolev, developement listed on UAC plans, builder: Kazan plant.