Greece ordre Mica and Scalp

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Greece signed a contract with company MBDA France for the purchase of
102 air-to-air missiles Mica and of 35 air-to-ground missiles Scalp,
for an amount of some 220 million euros, the ministry of Defense announced. The order envisages the
delivery of the Mica as from February 2006, and that of the Scalp as
from October 2007, specified the Greek ministry in an official
statement. The contract, signed on December 18, grants to the Greek
part of the compensations corresponding to 115% of the value of the
order, of which industrial compensations in the form of subcontracting
by a series of Greek companies to height of 30 million euros,
adds the official statement. MBDA gathers Matra BAe Dynmacis,
ADS-aerospatiale Matra Missiles and Alenia Marconi systems.

Original post

The HAF already purchased 56 SCALP. Can anyone confirm?

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yes I think so too. I'm sorry I can't be more precise but i'm on vacation you know ;)

Kostas

Member for

20 years 7 months

The new order is on top of the previous 56 SCALP EG and the MICA EM/IR order.

Member for

20 years 9 months

hey

they ares planing to buy rafale!

Member for

21 years 1 month

Re: hey

Originally posted by PILOTGHT

Please boy....don't jump to conclusion......buying these weapons could be used for the mirage 2000mk2 and not opting for Rafale innear future, it doesn't make any sense......

Member for

20 years 8 months

Re: hey

Originally posted by PILOTGHT

Hardly.. I have heard of strong rumors that Greece is willing to cover one per cent of the fees for Typhoon's development programme and to order no less than 60 Tranche-2 aircraft.

Can anyone confirm?

Flex

Member for

20 years 7 months

Re: Re: hey

Originally posted by flex297
Hardly.. I have heard of strong rumors that Greece is willing to cover one per cent of the fees for Typhoon's development programme and to order no less than 60 Tranche-2 aircraft.

Can anyone confirm?

Flex

Yes, the issue will be addressed after the Olympic Games this summer. The order is for 90 EF-2000 in order to replace the Corsair in near future.

Member for

24 years 4 months

F16c/d, Emraer AWACS, Mirage2k and Ef2000? Wow, are spotters still being arrested... Love to make some pics over there...

Member for

20 years 7 months

I think that the new order signals the upgrade of the remaining Mirage2000EGM/BGM to the Mirage2000-5mk2 standard. I just dont think that so many MICA and SCALP can be carried out by 25 Mirage2k-5mk2.

Obviously a major upgrade for the HAF Mirage-2000 capability. One has to take into account the gap in air power left by the removal of the Mirage-F1CG's (Super-350D), and that this must be replaced.

The acquisition of SCALP offers the HAF a real solid strike capability, and investment in such an expensive system makes it likely that a large number of ordinance will be procured since it is expensive and time-costly to integrate such a system.

One thing I find curious is that the HAF did not upgrade their young low-houred F1CG's with new radar, MICA launchers and perhap updated electronics like Spanish type. 19 perfectly good planes that might as well have been used in my opinion. Perhaps this is the reason Greece wanted to give them to Cyprus???

What sort of targets is the SCALP likely to be deployed against?

Member for

24 years 4 months

The F.1CG airframes left are 24 IIRC. 19 were flying upon retirement and 5 were already stored. There were inspected by Jordanian and Iranian officers and I'm not sure if the Czechs visited Tanagra also...

They were retired for financial reasons since PA is trying to decrease the number of types in service as soon as possible... Probably after 2010 only 3 types will remain, F-16's, M2K's and Typhoons...

SCALP's are used against high priority targets with lots of SAM protection.

Photo Copyright 332 Mira

Member for

20 years 8 months

That has got to be THE best looking fighter aircraft of modern times. I like the F16 its very easy on the eye but the M2000 is a real babe.