C-130 Carrier Landing

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Saw this, thought it might be of interest. Does anyone know for sure whether this is real or a load of BS? Link to the movie below:

http://www.airextreme.de/c130_forrestal1.mov

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

dam i cant download it properly!any chance you could try to post some stills?

Member for

18 years 7 months

can remember reading about this a long long time ago, if i can remember right the pilot got an afc or something as high from the president, it was called on board delivery trials but the navy said it was too expensive as they would have to use a carrier special for this task, ie no other aircraft, think they said something similar about useing the u2 from a carrier as well,

Member for

18 years 11 months

wow!that must have been some dodgy landing!was the aircraft practically stripped of anything not needed to keep it airbourne?!what about take off?was it rocket jet assisted?when was this?

Member for

20 years 2 months

My understanding is that the trials were with standard fit a/c w/o rato/jato.

Some might not have seen at shows etc but a C130's short field performance is pretty impressive esp on prepared surfaces & even with a useful load.

Frank

Horrido!

Member for

19 years 1 month

This concept is actually being revived as one of the options for the US Navy's Seabasing program, albeit with Js.

Member for

19 years

I would think the C-27J would be a good candidate for this option, as well.

Member for

24 years 5 months

yes...there were video clips with the U2s too...truly amazing. Other amazing thing is landing the Broncos on the LHAs. Or the rescue of Mussolini.

Member for

19 years 3 months

The C-130 on the carrier was a C-130F model and it was being tested to see if it could be used as a long range COD aircraft.The point of basing the U-2R on the carrier was it was easier to load it onto a carrier and be off the coast of say,North Korea or Iran then it was to deal with security at a land base.The US Navy was also looking at a maritime patrol model of the U-2R with antiship missiles.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Well that's a Heavy Landing!

Member for

18 years 6 months

this is real that plane is still in service with the USMC as a KC130 it was recently transiting through RAF Middenhall on its way to Iraq