F-35 & F-22: Two-seat Advanced trainer version?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Deino asked today at Flugzeugforum.de, if a two-seater version of the F-35 is planned?
I presume, no trainer version is planned so far.
Are trainer versions for all versions needed?
To build a trainer version of the version A and C would be easy, just pull out the fuel tank where the lift-fan in the version B is and extend the front fuselage a little...
And what about the F-35B???
The US forces might not need a trainer Versions because of modern Flightsims.

The F-22"B" was not built, because modern Flightsims can train pilots as well.
The USAF has anyway alot of F-15Ds, F-16Ds and T-38Cs to train pilots in the air.

I wonder, when it comes to the export of the F-22 and F-35, if other countries would need a two-seater version of them?
Or will they train in the US or on PC?

Maybe it will come back soon to the aircraft desingnation "TF-35", nearly 35 years after TF-15A was changed to F-15B. ;) :D

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

Didn't the RAF say that the new Hawk 128's will be able to simulate some aspects of both the F-35 and the Eurofighter ? I guess a lot will be done in Sims though as said.

They won't be able to do the STOVL bit though with a Hawk 128 :D

Member for

18 years 3 months

Remember that for some missions is good to have two member crew on board - for example long range armed patrol. The fact is that this is not a goal of JSF, but F/B-22 had two seat cockpit.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I think they'll jump from advanced trainers to real fighters with simulators to fill the gap.

Member for

24 years 4 months

It costs too much to develop trainers. 2 seats are needed in AJTs but not fighters where the computer does a better job operating systems than a human ever could.

Member for

20 years 2 months

The STOVL F-35B flight control systems should make it very easy to handle during the hover, they are based on the UK's VAAC Harrier test bed I discussed in this thread - VAAC Harrier - Easiest plane to fly ever? http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45334

A two seater F-35(C?) was proposed for the USMC's EA-6B replacement. Electronic attack JSF joins EA-6 replacement battle http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2002/04/16/146205/Electronic+attack+JSF+joins+EA-6+replacement+battle.html