Kosovo Air Force?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

I'm wondering about the possibility of a Kosovo air force, now that they've unilaterally declared their independence from Serbia. Any speculation on what their national insignia might look like, and how they might be equipped?

Original post

Member for

19 years 7 months

Maybe a small helo force, similar to that in Albania, but nothing more, neither the money nor the requirements are really there for anything more.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Kosovo is too small to have or even afford an air force. Perhaps the current 5,000-strong Kosovo Protection Corps (later becoming the Kosovan Army/Defence Force) could have an air wing at a later date operating a few second-hand Mi-8 or similar helicopters tasked with border patrol, surveillance and SAR. At the present KFOR provides the air assets with the Kosovo Protection Corps largely providing support on the ground.

Member for

24 years 4 months

[color=blue]Just a friendly warning...do not turn this or any other thread in here into a referendum as to whether or not Kosovo should have declared independence or whatever. If you want to discuss that issue you are certainly welcome to do so, but start a thread for that topic over in the General Discussion section.[/color]

Member for

24 years 4 months

Something compatible with Albania I'd imagine.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Tenuous situation... I personally cannot see the 'new' state ever being able to field a 'full' military - perhaps a 'paramilitary' organization. Most likely in my view, the air assets will be a dozen UH-1s (as already mentioned) and perhaps 6 Jet Rangers donated by a particularly large influential (non-European) nation.

Regarding markings, well, the new flag is certainly uninspiring (from an non-Kosovan point of view)

Member for

16 years 3 months

I think the future would hold light aircraft and helicopters - if the future of kosovo includes and airforce at all. Without getting political they do need to be taking there security very seriously - perhaps more so then many other European nations, something like the cobra might be handy should they be worried about facing armour in the future.

Also what about a security arangement where by a country would build a base there and provide a defense service in return for being allowed to use it to operate from, perhaps that would be the best option, as it would be great for the economy and great for the nations defense.

Member for

16 years 8 months

[color=blue]Just a friendly warning...do not turn this or any other thread in here into a referendum as to whether or not Kosovo should have declared independence or whatever. If you want to discuss that issue you are certainly welcome to do so, but start a thread for that topic over in the General Discussion section.[/color]

? I think the guy asked about whether Kosovo would get an air force, not the rights and wrongs of independence.

Member for

19 years 5 months

? I think the guy asked about whether Kosovo would get an air force, not the rights and wrongs of independence.

Balkan's threads have a bit of history here.;)

Given that the west has taken to guaranteeing Kosovo's security there is absolutely no need or likelyhood of any Kosovan air force for a very long time. You might see a see a couple of helos bought/donated for paramilitary police forces at somepoint but nothing more.

Member for

18 years 9 months

the way i see it, they will possibly get a number of ex-yugoslav Gazelles, UTVA-75 and Hips, maybe a small flight of AN-2 or AN-26 as well. my guess it will mbe more like what the Montenegro army air corps has now.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Montenegro uses 'cra&ft that where already deployed on the Montenegrin soil. As far as I kniw, there is no former Serbian / Yugoslavian / etc plane currently deployed in Pristina and still airworthy. Guess Kosovo will get a small paramilitary Air Corps, using some HLO --UH-1, I think.

Member for

24 years 4 months

the way i see it, they will possibly get a number of ex-yugoslav Gazelles, UTVA-75 and Hips, maybe a small flight of AN-2 or AN-26 as well. my guess it will mbe more like what the Montenegro army air corps has now.

This is about as likely as a snowball living a long and prosperous life in the pits of hell.

Everybody else has it spot on - helicopters (of the utility - not attack - variety) to support paramilitary police forces are the only serious asset that any future Kosovo air corps is likely to require. I don't really see what else can be contributed to this thread.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Exactly. This is the Kosovo Protection Corps, the only military-type force that Kosovo has. Despite its origins, it has no "fighting" role and is largely a uniformed rescue reponse force.

http://www.tmk-ks.org

Member for

24 years 4 months

According to the website of the Protection Corps they already have a Air Unit consisting of light and medium helicopters. Does anyone have more information about equipment and state?

Member for

18 years 9 months

It might be worthwhile for some of the various NATO nations to sponsor a modest air capability, to replace their own deployed assets. This would most likely consist of a few Hueys, and perhaps some ex-German PAH-01s. A dozen helos at most, perhaps augmented by a very small number of light aircraft, e.g. Diamond DA-42 aerial surveillance aircraft (which would be cheap to buy and operate). The primary risks are not really military - Kosovo by itself really cannot cope with that threat alone - but from internal/cross-border violence. As such, a nice cheap air surveillance capability is actually very desirable. In a sense, they should really be thinking more along the lines of setting up a sort of police helicopter unit, to accompany a military that would basically be a well-armed SWAT force!

Member for

16 years 8 months

According to the website of the Protection Corps they already have a Air Unit consisting of light and medium helicopters. Does anyone have more information about equipment and state?

I think that's more a statement of intent, with the structures in place ready for a proper helicopter/aviation unit. Notice also that there are two pics at the bottom showing para gliders rather than any helicopters.

Incidentally, under the terms of the Kosovo Status Settlement, which will be moreorless what will be introduced now that Kosovo has declared its independence, the KPC will disband (within a year) following the reformation of an army-type force, to be known as the "Kosovo Security Force", composed of several thousand personnel. I would guess then that the "70th Helicopters Squadron" or the Skuadrila 70 e Helikopterëve might become more of a reality.

Member for

18 years 2 months

What are the odds they could (and would) maintain a small force of Pilatus or T-6 Texan II's, to provide a basic intercept and I.D. capability?

Matt

Member for

24 years 4 months

They would be smart to buy some Mil helicopters, Su27s, Russian SAM systems, and T-series tanks.....that would be interesting. Who cares if they need it...objective achieved. SOC, this should be considered as a borderline post, i didn't discuss about their independence, but military hardware are always linked with politics. :(

Member for

18 years 9 months

They would be smart to buy some Mil helicopters, Su27s, Russian SAM systems, and T-series tanks.....that would be interesting. Who cares if they need it...objective achieved. SOC, this should be considered as a borderline post, i didn't discuss about their independence, but military hardware are always linked with politics. :(

That would make no sense at all - the population cannot support that sort of procurement. The protection of the new state will rely on the pledge of security granted by other nations, i.e. EU/NATO nations. They will probably try to join the Partnership for Peace as soon as possible, with an eye on NATO/EU membership.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Su-27s, tanks and air defence systems. Impossible. As an independent state, Kosovo will be the poorest nation in Europe with an annual GDP of 2.5 billion euros, which won't give them much of a defence budget. Current spending on the KPC amounts to 17 million euros annually. Peanuts for a military force. Anything procured will have to come from elsewhere as a free gift. I think the EU and NATO are already talking about arming (and no doubt training) the fledgling KSF once its formed, but it's likely to be small arms, light artillery (mortars), APCs and of course, a few helicopters.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Su-27s, tanks and air defence systems. Impossible. As an independent state, Kosovo will be the poorest nation in Europe with an annual GDP of 2.5 billion euros, which won't give them much of a defence budget. Current spending on the KPC amounts to 17 million euros annually. Peanuts for a military force. Anything procured will have to come from elsewhere as a free gift. I think the EU and NATO are already talking about arming (and no doubt training) the fledgling KSF once its formed, but it's likely to be small arms, light artillery (mortars), APCs and of course, a few helicopters.

Yep a few helicopters for policing and civil roles would be on the cards but nothing else.

Then it depends on who is feeling generous.