coudl british bombs be mated onto russian pylons?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

hiya

been doing some reading for my Ethiopian mig-23BN...apparently [according to stopclustermunitions.org] the Bl755 was used extensively by Ethiopia...since Ethiopia was flying Russian aircraft at that time..im gathering these could be carried by Russian aircraft...

basicalyl im trying to work out if i can stick bl755s on my mig-23bn :D

*attached pic of Ethiopian cluster bomb in Eritrea

Attachments
Original post

Almost certainly could be adapted. As far as I know standard Iron bombs are hung with bolts. If the spacing is wrong either the pylon or the bomb could be adapted or an adapter created to attach the bomb to the pylon.

The real question is why would you want to? The Soviets/Russians had/have an enormous range of cluster bomb types including sensor fused anti tank submunitions using MMW radar and IIR seekers and self forging fragment warheads.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Re dropping BL755 off a MiG23. The BL755 had provision for twin suspension lugs at 10 inches/250 mm (Russian spacing) and at 355 mm/14 inches (NATO spacing) - it also had provison for a single lug for pre-1970s vintage British aircraft, so the BL755 could easily be carried on a MiG23. The different spacing of lugs were fitted to suit the carriage aircraft. The only other thing required would be suitable fuzing/arming units/strongpoints on the aircraft for the two arming lanyards and the electrical connector.

Although technically feasible, it's not a simple job to adapt either the aircraft pylon or the bomb for Russian or NATO weapons. As far as the bombs go they would have to be manufactured with both Russian and NATO suspension lug pockets and suitable arrangements would also have to be made for the various special-to-type interface connections between the bomb and the aircraft. The alternative would be a cumbersome adapter plate which would affect the ballistics of the bomb.

As far as adapting the aircraft pylons is concerned it would be a case of fitting a release unit that would interface with the various weapons. That could mean fitting a suitable release unit according to the bomb - e.g. Russian today, NATO tomorrow. That would mean that the different units would have to interface with the pylons for mounting and electrical connections. The alternative would be to fit one type of release unit that was capable of carrying both - i.e. it had suspension hooks at 250 and 355 mm. I only know of one example of that type of unit and it was used by the Indian AF for obvious reasons.

Member for

18 years 10 months

If memory serves, the Finnish AF used a mix, and had hardpoints for this sort of purpose. Fundamentally, it's not all that complicated, just not something everyone needs.

Member for

18 years 7 months

hiya guys!

thanks fro the responces, really appreciated!!

been doing research from anti-cluster bomb sources and i found Ethiopia also uses chilian CB-500s.......which where also supplied by manufacturer to iraq, and more interestingly: india for their MiG-23BNs :D

so it seems pretty safe to assume the cb-500s Ethiopia got are for the mig-23s also, so ill make some of those :)