Airfix 1/72 Spitfire F.22 kit

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I've just ordered myself one of these from eBay. Anyone already had a crack at it?

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very nice!! Think the 603 Squadron scheme would be my scheme of choice, too.

Someone mentioned the 1/48th kit, too. I'd love to build that one again, as my old Mk.24 version is looking decidedly worse for wear.... :(

Member for

13 years 1 month

The June issue of Airfix world has a build thread on the mk22 1/72 kit

My next Spit is the 1/48 mk12
For my sins I am trying to prove that an Airfix Battle can be made to resemble an aircraft at the moment! It is close to leaving a first floor window at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Typical, I missed it! :rolleyes:

I've got, in the "to build" pile:

Revell 1/72 SE.5a, Fokker Dr.1 and Albatros D.III
Airfix 1/48 Spitfire IX
Hobbycraft 1/48 Hispano Ha.1112M-1L
Revell 1/32 Spitfire I/II
Matchbox 1/32 Spitfire F.24

:o

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi Daz;

Got my new Airfix Spitfire Mk 22 the other day. What a great kit! If Airfix continue to give us this sort of quality at a reasonable price, then they have a bright future! I just hope that they bring us a Mk XIV too.

I see you have a few of the old Revell WW1 biplanes in the build pile. These are still pretty decent kits considering their age and scrub up quite well. I've just finished the Fokker DVII as it was the first WW1 aircraft I built as a kid, so I fancied re-visiting it again. I know for a fact that I didn't attempt the colour scheme the first time round, and this time around it had the be the most challenging paint job I've done in a while. All painted by brush, and the lozenge patterns drove me nuts!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/fightersweep/Fokker2.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh285/fightersweep/Fokker1.jpg

Next up will be the Revell SE5a...at least that will be easier to paint!

Regards;
Steve

Member for

20 years 8 months

I really don't fancy doing the lozenge pattern - almost as much as I don't fancy trying to rig the SE5! :rolleyes: Nice model, though! I really like the Udet(?) scheme.

My Spitfire hasn't arrived yet - but hopefully the weekend will bring a box through the door. ;)

In saying that, I've got the big Spit 24 in the build pile still....!

Member for

13 years 1 month

So have I the Revell(ex Matchbox 1/32) kit. I understand its not the easiest kit to build. So it keeps dropping down the list!

Member for

24 years 3 months

So have I the Revell(ex Matchbox 1/32) kit. I understand its not the easiest kit to build. So it keeps dropping down the list!

Not a difficult build as such, but doesn't go together well if you a) include all the internal bits and b) don't reinforce the wing to fuselage joint, and the cowling joints. Do alot of dry fitting of the internal bits before you commit to glue- alot of it doesn't fit well (including the engine) and most of it isn't seen anyway if you've got the cowls and gun covers on.

I did neither of the above on mine and it went in the bin half finished after the wings fell off.

Needs a fair bit of filler too.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have a vague recollection of building the Matchbox Spit 24 a long while ago, and true, it was a bit of a pig!!

The Airfix 1/48th job was fantastic, though. Genuinely quite sad that mine was damaged while in the loft! :(

Member for

20 years 8 months

My Spitfire arrived on Thursday. Looks very nice indeed and, regardless of what version you build, you have a complete set of decals to spare afterwards!

Still gonna go for the 603 Squadron scheme, though. It's simple, colourful and brings out the shape of the Spit brilliantly.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Daren are you doing the spinner red as their has been some confusion as to the colour? I think red looks grand!
http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark603-604.htm
I can't get a 1/72 Mk22 in Bristol yet and that was going to be my test build before I start on the 1/32 one.The ony problem with that is I can't find any decals for 603 in 1/32. If you( or anyone else) can point me in the direction of some I would be grateful.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I had intended on doing the red spinner - it looks fantastic on the model! Would love to see a Spit XIV painted like that (in the absence of a flyable 22, anyway).

I have a horrid feeling my 1/32 decals are shot - something tells me the box got a bit damp over the winters that we've had. Can't seem to find anything like that on eBay or Hannants just now... :(

Member for

13 years 1 month

Well done Buddy I did not see those!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Member for

17 years 7 months

I made the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire F.22 in 603 Sqn markings a year or two ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/CMVH/Spitfire%20models/F22_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/CMVH/Spitfire%20models/F22_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/CMVH/Spitfire%20models/F22_3.jpg

The keen-eyed among will spot my non-deliberate mistake (which has now been corrected)

Member for

13 years 1 month

Decals on the wrong side?

Member for

17 years 7 months

Er... they might be but that isn't it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well it looks fantastic to me Arthur, I wouldn't notice anything about it if you hadn't said. Perhaps the wing roundals are on the fuselage, and vice versa??

Member for

17 years 7 months

I think the roundels were the same size. No, if you look in the first picture, under the wing, look at the gear door. I put them the wrong way round, the lower pointy bit should be at the rear. I even put them the right way to cut out the decals for the serial properly. Doh!

If the Airfix 1/72 kit is even half way as good as the 1/48 scale version it will be a fine kit.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very, very nice indeed, Arthur! :)

It's a pity that kit is now out of production - they command much higher prices on eBay nowadays! :o