Your Favorite Hornet/Super Hornet pics.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years

Super Hornet in Air Superiority load out/role

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/FA-18F_VFA-154_landing_USS_Stennis_2006.jpg

This is how the Super Hornet will dominate air superiority.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/US_Navy_050519-N-0226M-012_Armed_with_two_AIM-120_Advanced_Medium-Range_Air-to-Air_Missiles_%28AMRAAM%29%2C_an_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet%2C_assigned_to_the_Vampires_of_Air_Test_and_Evaluation_Squadron_Nine_%28VX-9%29%2C_prepares_to_make_an_arrest.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/US_Navy_051215-N-9277A-003_An_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet_assigned_to_Air_Test_and_Evaluation_Squadron_Nine_%28VX-9%29_returns_to_its%5Ersquo%2C_home_at_Naval_Air_Weapons_Station_%28NAWS%29_China_Lake.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/US_Navy_061119-N-8591H-016_An_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet_assigned_to_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_One_Zero_Two_%28VFA_102%29_the_.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/US_Navy_050714-N-0000I-004_F-A-18F_Super_Hornets_prepare_to_launch_from_the_flight_deck_aboard_the_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_%28CVN_72%29.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Boeing_FA-18F_Super_Hornet_8_%287567978682%29.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Boeing_FA-18F_Super_Hornet_at_RIAT.jpg

Member for

11 years

how about this F/A-18 super hornet pic?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8251794879_9fac14799f_o.jpg

Member for

11 years

Super Hornet in Air Superiority load out/role

This is how the Super Hornet will dominate air superiority.

super hornet does dominate air superiority, but in order to dominate air superiority from the super hornet is JHMCS, AIM-9x, AIM-120D, APG-79 AESA Radar, Good pilot, maneuverability and slow speed handiling. But the super dominates the Multirole arena but it's main capable roles is air superiority and ground attack which is superior in both main roles but the super hornet in tanker mode is good too.

Member for

11 years

super hornet does dominate air superiority, but in order to dominate air superiority from the super hornet is JHMCS, AIM-9x, AIM-120D, APG-79 AESA Radar, Good pilot, maneuverability and slow speed handiling. But the super dominates the Multirole arena but it's main capable roles is air superiority and ground attack which is superior in both main roles but the super hornet in tanker mode is good too.

I already know that viper. Everybody keeps telling me this :)

Member for

11 years

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7503020652_3160e79154_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8021/7614645076_ff94b5fdc9_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7117/7578286204_6c47fdf0f4_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7503019316_4a89cbc34a_o.jpg

Member for

11 years

F/A-18F Super Hornet at LIMA Airshow.

http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2013/media/Airshow2013-FA18F-Super-Hornet-ROB-KYSELA.jpg

Member for

15 years 4 months

super hornet does dominate air superiority, but in order to dominate air superiority from the super hornet is JHMCS, AIM-9x, AIM-120D, APG-79 AESA Radar, Good pilot, maneuverability and slow speed handiling.
Indeed, all of those I agree with, apart from slow speed handling. When you're up against another air superiority fighter be it in WVR or BVR, the last thing the pilot wants is slow speed handling.

Member for

11 years

Indeed, all of those I agree with, apart from slow speed handling. When you're up against another air superiority fighter be it in WVR or BVR, the last thing the pilot wants is slow speed handling.

yea definitely agree with you. with the right CONOPS on the Super Hornet, it will excel in the future. however the super hornet will indeed be effective and excel in air superiority with JHMCS, AIM-9x, AIM-120D, APG-79, maneuverability, slow speed handiling and a good pilot. This is what the super hornet will do good in for the next air to air warfare in the next coming years.

But in BVR and WVR this is where the super hornet definitely excels in air superiority, i'd rather take the super hornet in WVR combat. But still pretty damn good in BVR too, with APG-79 radar and its reduced RCS, the enemy won't see the super hornet from a long distance and super gets first shot if it recives meteor.

although the super hornet isn't a true stealth fighter, but lacks full stealth on the super hornet. Pretty much is why Boeing is proposing the stealth hornet but also increasing supers survivability and capabilities.

although i'm pretty sad the f-16 won't be in service anymore. :( it will be replaced by the f-35, but hopefully the f-35 can do the requirements the f-16 had :)

Member for

11 years

US Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet

IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
US Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet Take off

Member for

10 years 11 months

said stuff

Don't mean to be rude, but are you and the Viper67 poster the same person? You talk very much alike. Not that there's a problem in doing that, just found it interesting that if its true, you've been talking to yourself.

Member for

15 years 4 months

yea definitely agree with you. with the right CONOPS on the Super Hornet, it will excel in the future. however the super hornet will indeed be effective and excel in air superiority with JHMCS, AIM-9x, AIM-120D, APG-79, maneuverability, slow speed handiling and a good pilot. This is what the super hornet will do good in for the next air to air warfare in the next coming years.
That's the part I don't agree on, and is my point. It's the last thing you want when in WVR or BVR combat with another air-superiority fighter. The Super Hornet isn't known to have superior kinetic performance, but it lacks in kinetic performance it makes up for the other areas mentioned.

But in BVR and WVR this is where the super hornet definitely excels in air superiority, i'd rather take the super hornet in WVR combat. But still pretty damn good in BVR too, with APG-79 radar and its reduced RCS, the enemy won't see the super hornet from a long distance and super gets first shot if it recives meteor.
It depends on what aircraft the Super Hornet is up against. Super Hornet isn't going to be getting Meteor in my opinion.

although the super hornet isn't a true stealth fighter, but lacks full stealth on the super hornet. Pretty much is why Boeing is proposing the stealth hornet but also increasing supers survivability and capabilities.
Personally, I don't buy into Boeing's "Stealth" claims of the "Silent Hornet" and "Silent Eagle". Reduced RCS, I can give the benefit of the doubt, Stealth. No way.

although i'm pretty sad the f-16 won't be in service anymore. :( it will be replaced by the f-35, but hopefully the f-35 can do the requirements the f-16 had :)
Well, the F-35 has a lot to worry about, technical issues, unknown costs, reduced capability of operational units and programme is far from complete. I'd say the F-16 is going to be with us quite a long time yet.

Member for

11 years

Don't mean to be rude, but are you and the Viper67 poster the same person? You talk very much alike. Not that there's a problem in doing that, just found it interesting that if its true, you've been talking to yourself.

Certainly not

Member for

11 years

That's the part I don't agree on, and is my point. It's the last thing you want when in WVR or BVR combat with another air-superiority fighter. The Super Hornet isn't known to have superior kinetic performance, but it lacks in kinetic performance it makes up for the other areas mentioned.

maybe growler may not want to hear this but I agree on its kitematic performance lacks, range, speed. where's the part you don't agree on? although its not going to lack anymore beacuse it's now going to block iii with fixed purposes.

It depends on what aircraft the Super Hornet is up against. Super Hornet isn't going to be getting Meteor in my opinion.

the navy might require the meteor for the lost AIM-54 capability. i never said its receiving meteor.

Personally, I don't buy into Boeing's "Stealth" claims of the "Silent Hornet" and "Silent Eagle". Reduced RCS, I can give the benefit of the doubt, Stealth. No way.

ok

Well, the F-35 has a lot to worry about, technical issues, unknown costs, reduced capability of operational units and programme is far from complete. I'd say the F-16 is going to be with us quite a long time yet.

:)

Member for

11 years

maybe growler may not want to hear this but I agree on its kitematic performance lacks, range, speed. where's the part you don't agree on? although its not going to lack anymore beacuse it's now going to block iii with fixed purposes.

I understand the pros and cons on the Super Hornet. Well I guess it's speed and range that Super Hornet mostly lacks on. Well your right, but the Block II made new improvements. Now it's Block III that's making huge improvements, it's testing out the aerodynamic quality on the Super Hornet and testing the allround upgrades it has to have tested on August/ September. As a result these things that Super Hornet lacks may improve its qualities on Block III so we'll see on the month of August/September.

By all that aside, yes correct indeed the Super Hornet can excel and be effective in air superiority with its superior A2A capabilities that you've mentioned on the previous page.

the navy might require the meteor for the lost AIM-54 capability. i never said its receiving meteor.
Correct

Member for

15 years 4 months

maybe growler may not want to hear this but I agree on its kitematic performance lacks, range, speed. where's the part you don't agree on?
The bold part I quoted in my last post! Slow speed = Kinetic performance! I've said this twice already! Slow speed maneuverability (handling) is okay if you're lining up to land on a carrier in the middle of the Pacific in rough weather - but isn't that useful when you're up against another air superiority fighter at much higher speeds. If you're in a Super Hornet and your opponent is a supersonic fighter capable of maneuvering at, and beyond supersonic speeds, you're going to be in a world of hurt! Typhoons simulate launching BVR shots at Mach 1.6 at 40,000+ ft, the Super Hornet ain't going to be launching anything like that. And I must stress that I'm not mentioning Typhoon for the sake of it or to derail the topic. It's the way it is, Super Hornet lacks that kind of kinetic performance.

The Super Hornet has lots of range, not disputing that.

Might, but the chances are slim.

Member for

10 years 11 months

! Slow speed maneuverability (handling) is okay if you're lining up to land on a carrier in the middle of the Pacific in rough weather - but isn't that useful when you're up against another air superiority fighter at much higher speeds.

Whilst it is true that low speed handling qualities are not important during high speed ACM they most certainly are useful when it comes to the merge as the longer the subsequent WVR fight lasts the more energy is being lost and the more slow speed handling advantages come into play.

It's most certainly not a quality that should be written off as "only good for getting back on the boat".

Member for

11 years

The bold part I quoted in my last post! Slow speed = Kinetic performance! I've said this twice already! Slow speed maneuverability (handling) is okay if you're lining up to land on a carrier in the middle of the Pacific in rough weather - but isn't that useful when you're up against another air superiority fighter at much higher speeds. If you're in a Super Hornet and your opponent is a supersonic fighter capable of maneuvering at, and beyond supersonic speeds, you're going to be in a world of hurt! Typhoons simulate launching BVR shots at Mach 1.6 at 40,000+ ft, the Super Hornet ain't going to be launching anything like that. And I must stress that I'm not mentioning Typhoon for the sake of it or to derail the topic. It's the way it is, Super Hornet lacks that kind of kinetic performance.

The Super Hornet has lots of range, not disputing that.

ok, got a little confused for the purposes. i read an article on the super honret about the block iii one, despite the chances are that if the super hornet gets the epe engines, it said: "The EPE should provide a 20% increase in thrust, cutting acceleration times, and improving the aircrafts performance, allowing better intercept and air to air performance against faster, higher targets. so really that's what the epe engine is all about.

Member for

11 years

Slow speed maneuverability (handling) is okay if you're lining up to land on a carrier in the middle of the Pacific in rough weather - but isn't that useful when you're up against another air superiority fighter at much higher speeds.

Well i don't know how to agree on this debate. Super Hornets called a slow speed air superiority plane/dogfighter. It has the best slow speed characteristics for maneuverability in the air superiority arena. I doubt any fighter can go that slow to dogfight like a Super Hornet. Super Hornets challenging plane to fight in the air. But Eurofighter has to go fast to dogfight, meaning it's afterburners are always on to dogfight the opponent and get the kill. I don't know how well the Super Hornet can do in a high speed dogfight, meaning don't know how can it dogfight using afterburners all the time. But in slow speed dogfighting, you'll have to use afterburners to climb/get energy for the Super Hornet.

It's quite bizarre to be going slow to dogfight in todays dogfights but mostly dogfights occur with afterburners on and little bit of maneuvering. But i think you need afterburners on to get the kill fast or try to get away and then shoot.

Either way, it depends on the pilot/enemy if they'd want to get in a high speed dogfight or go slow.

But don't know how WVR engagements will start or don't know how BVR engagements start.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Swiss Hornet at RIAT, RAF Fairford.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4005/4261052190_85e34f1371_o.jpg